DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Matching Cameras in Post (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/513039-matching-cameras-post.html)

Joe Riggs December 30th, 2012 11:25 AM

Matching Cameras in Post

I have a decent understanding of color correction/theory but I find it difficult to match multiple cameras in post. This is particularly challenging when a shooter doesn't white balance/expose properly. Since, it is a live event, I don't expect perfection but sometimes it's really bad and to get the cameras to exactly match in post seems nearly impossible (I'm using the built in 3 way CC). I was curious how others go about matching multiple cameras?

Don Bloom December 30th, 2012 03:17 PM

Re: Matching Cameras in Post

I use the most correct footage (the camera I'm running) as my base. Then i use the 3 way CC in Vegas or the New BlueFX color fixer and the 2ndy CC in Vegas OR a combination of the 3 to make the other footage match what I've got from my camera. It's a tedious process at times but one thing I insist on when I have a 2nd shooter is no matter what the color looks like when you start shooting LEAVE IT! This way I''m makeing 1 fix for all of that footage instead of trying to massage it numerous times. If it's yellow let it be yellow. I'll make one adjustment to fix the whole thing.
I always try to make it right in the camera or at least as close as possible. Most times I run 3 cameras, 2 manned and 1 unmanned and it never fails, they are never the exact same even though the 3 camera are all the same but for the most part the color is very close and the fix is pretty easy.

Jeff Harper December 30th, 2012 03:43 PM

I use AAV color lab (free plug in) a LOT. For yellow footage, which I get a lot of, I remove yellow using that program, and it works like a charm.

Like Don, I find one line of video that's best, tweak it as needed, and then match the others to the "good line" of video.

Dave Partington December 30th, 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Riggs (Post 1770256)
I have a decent understanding of color correction/theory but I find it difficult to match multiple cameras in post. This is particularly challenging when a shooter doesn't white balance/expose properly. Since, it is a live event, I don't expect perfection but sometimes it's really bad and to get the cameras to exactly match in post seems nearly impossible (I'm using the built in 3 way CC). I was curious how others go about matching multiple cameras?

You don't say what software you are using, so it's hard to comment on it's capabilities.

We found that the built in 3-way on Premiere Pro is terrible! We tried and tried and tried (since it's GPU accelerated) but in the end gave up and use Colorista II within Premiere Pro. The combination of the 3 way (with MUCH better algorithms) and the HSL controls (allowing you to tweak colour in different ways to the 3 way) make matching cameras possible where the Premiere Pro 3 way has no hope in hell!

FCP 7 was better than Premiere Pro, but again we resorted to Colorista II in the end.

We're finding (so far!) that FCP X colour brick is actually pretty good at this stuff and don't need to use external tools all that often (e.g. Resolve).

Danny O'Neill December 31st, 2012 05:58 AM

3 Way colour corrector and NewBlueFX Colour Fixer Plus. Sometimes a colour curves.

To get them spot on use the video scopes. Particularly the Vectorscope can help you get it just right.

Robert Benda January 3rd, 2013 01:30 PM

For weddings, we finally started taking a moment before the wedding to match camera settings. We'll put each camera at what will be our primary shooting position and work from there.. We just have to agree on where the light meter should be.

Sometimes we'll use the bride's dress to get our white balance matched - works great during photog pics at the church, when we're usually on a break.

Travis Wilber January 3rd, 2013 02:22 PM

As others mentioned, what program are you using?

In FCP7 the 3way color wheel is really only good for white balancing if you have trouble finding the base yourself. Otherwise I always use Colorista which I love and does a much better job handling the colors. Recently I've also been using the RGB Balance filter in addition which helps slightly nudge the colors around.

Maybe using a colorcard or grey card once you get set up will do it? Sometimes even if all the cameras are on the same settings there are still issues, especially if you got a mix of light temps in different parts of the room.

Matt Thomas January 4th, 2013 05:00 PM

I think it's really difficult matching different types of Cameras in post, ie. a Sony HDV camera and a Canon DSLR is pretty hard to do just with colour correction. If anyone as any tips for that I'd like to hear them, but I've found that isn't really possible.

Adrian Tan January 4th, 2013 05:22 PM

Depends on the editing style. For instance, destaurating everything can help.

If the style allows for wildly different shots / effects, then you can do things like put an occasional shot in black and white, or use a "leave colour" effect to leave only red dresses in frame or whatever.

If you're doing continuous coverage of a ceremony, and trying to cut it together... Well, good chance the bride/groom won't notice anyway... Never had complaints about this sort of thing from all the dodgy Ex1/5DMkII/GH2/HVX shoots I've done in the past... They might notice it's not high quality because of the mismatch, but they're not going to consciously articulate it... Hopefully...

Joe Riggs January 7th, 2013 05:22 AM

Thanks everyone, this question was NLE independent and more about the methods others employ to successfully match cameras. However, I'm currently using Premiere, I prefer the 3 way in Final Cut, but with any NLE it can be a chore and quite time consuming. Furthermore, while Colorista is a more powerful tool, I like how in Final Cut there is auto white balance as well as a black/shadow balance (Colorista just has an auto balance). I'm looking to balance footage as accurately and quickly as possible.