Any requests for 3D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Any requests for 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

Imo shooters should study the whole 3D bit. If someone in their market gets a good 3D start, playing catch-up won't be good.
And the punters will think .. if you can provide good 3D, 2D will be a cinch.

Cheers.
This is a very valid and shrewd point Alan and is the very reason that I continue to film weddings in 3d even when not requested. When I get the very occasional serious interest, I have no need to direct them back to 2d as I am already willing and able to work in 3d. Showing 3d at wedding shows, both photos and video, generates a lot of interest and discussion, more often positive than negative, but sometimes a genuine enquiry is generated. More importantly it draws people to my stand to discuss their own video requirements.

I've noticed that a number of people on this forum work with high end equipment and I would assume carry out corporate, promotional and sometimes broadcast work with high financial returns. This naturally involves a high investment in equipment, although many also seem to use this equipment to cross over into the celebratory market. I think that if you are looking at 3d from that viewpoint, it can appear to be an expensive area to move into, with a steep learning curve if you have no prior experience. There is also a minimal market to justify the move.

My situation is different, as my equipment is fine for the celebratory and lower end corporate market that I am working in, but has enabled me over the past few years to make minor additions to enable me to work in 3d for my own amusement. There has been no real requirement to justify the cost and as I have become more proficient in 3d filming and editing I have been able to introduce it as an add on to my business. Although I am aware that there are requirements and specifications for broadcast 3d, I am not aiming for that market, so I can produce visually interesting, non headache inducing video that will delight my clients who have 3d tvs, at a price that is affordable for them.

I have also found that there is no real requirement for me to write s3d BD discs, which I have found a grindingly slow and painful process. As all current 3d tvs have USB and or SD inputs, I have found it very quick and easy to write playout files to those formats and have so far found positive rather than negative responses to that format. A nice presentation case of course helps and there is no need for the client to have a 3d capable bluray player available.

I have never been convinced that Bluray is the way forward, particularly with the rapid increase in efficiency and falling costs of alternative delivery systems, although I can write a BD if required. If and when 3d eventually becomes the norm, I will use the capability and understanding that I already have and add whatever new cameras and software becomes necessary to keep the head start that I have already made.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: Any requests for 3D?

All good Roger. 'Knowing how to' with 3D will open other doors, it'll attract new types of business.

eg: you'll get 3D referrals and calls from adv. agencies, museums, art galleries, aquariums, etc.

To stay ahead and attract their own customers, glasses free 3D TV sets in their theatres will mean they'll want their own 3D video programs made.
Imagine fish swimming around in 3D, I get dizzy thinking about it :)

And glasses free 3D TV adv at bus, rail and airports, you might not get time to do weddings.
First up, best dressed.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques