Selling digital copies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Selling digital copies

My sister is a photographer and is using Smugmug as a way to sell her pictures. For those not familiar, Smugmug will allow you to upload your pictures and set a price that a customer can purchase the picture. Smugmug will then take care of the printing/shipping/credit cards, etc. Obviously there is a fee, but it's an easy way to not have to worry about the back end processing.

I was looking at it and it will also allow you to upload videos and then set a price to sell the downloaded file. They'll let you set the price for different resolutions. So for example after a wedding I could put up a highlight video and sell the 1080p version for $x.xx, but the mobile phone version would be cheaper.

I was thinking that this may be an opportunity to sell copies to uncles/aunts, etc. who probably won't get a full DVD. Has anyone tried a pricing model like this? Was there any success?
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Selling digital copies

I've thought about this but decided to stick to using a physical disk format. It's kinda - selling a copy of something you can readily watch for free.. One approach I thought was to provide a preview online as a segway to selling a full video, but the effort to do the preview just didn't make sense for the amount of sales.
I do have Smugmug for photos and it works well.. but with their price increase, I am considering moving to Zenfolio.
David Cordero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques