Anyone Using GoPro's for Stage Event Work? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Anyone Using GoPro's for Stage Event Work?

As far as I can tell, Preview doesn't work during recording - at least on my Hero2. So it's not something you're doing wrong. I assume the processor can't cope with transmitting video as well as capturing it.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The gopros look better because everything is in focus and sharp - which gives the impression of extra clarity. The defects then get overlooked.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
As far as I can tell, Preview doesn't work during recording - at least on my Hero2. So it's not something you're doing wrong. I assume the processor can't cope with transmitting video as well as capturing it.
Preview works while recording - if ProTune is off.

The Wi-Fi works fine in my home, but messed up in a venue. I was getting a preview while recording when I was on stage with my tablet, but as soon as I moved back to where the sound board was, it got flaky.I had a picture for a while, then I tried to get to the other camera, and I wasn't able to get back. Then both failed.

Luckily, both actually continued to record. But the current system is untrustworthy.

If anyone from GoPro reads this thread, I have 23 concert shoots coming up. I'd be very happy to beta test the revision that adds linking the cameras to a wi-fi network.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DeVoe View Post
Preview works while recording - if ProTune is off..
I just used my GP3 for the first time last week. I had Pro Tune off and was unable to get any
preview at all while recording. I was using the phone app. What were you using to preview?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Trustee

With my iPhone or iPad, the GoPro app won't show me a preview either in ProTune or normal modes. This is with a Hero 2.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I just used my GP3 for the first time last week. I had Pro Tune off and was unable to get any
preview at all while recording. I was using the phone app. What were you using to preview?
I have 2 Hero 2s and am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

I assume you have a WiFi back on the camera? I have no issues on the Hero2 and can get a lagged image on my SmartPhone and my tablet without any problems...If nothing else the preview is useful for framing at least. I shoot my weddings with the Hero on a stand next to my main camera about 8' in the air and 90% of the time I'm delighted and use the ceremony footage ....We had a really soggy and humid day yesterday and even my Sony viewfinders were misting up but in the skelton housing I had no fogging at all.

I would check the Wifi back ... that might be the issue?? The app definately works .... does your phone/Tablet recognise the wifi from the camera and can it control it??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

What screwed up everything was having the cameras on two different wi-fi networks at one end og the room, and having to swap from one to the other to change cameras. They can't introduce the option to put all of them on the same network soon enough for me. I have a wi-fi hotspot program on my laptop, and it works well. I'll put both cameras and my Galaxy Tab on it and be able to monitor both.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques