Using students/interns as second/third camera ops - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Using students/interns as second/third camera ops

A couple of years ago I was stuck for a second videographer when my usual two other guys were both unavailable, so I called my old film school and asked them if they had any promising students that would like to pick up a bit of paid work. They passed on a couple of names and phone numbers and now one of those students is now my first choice second camera operator.

Filming a wedding is a very fragile operation with no retakes - if you screw up something important, there's no way of getting it back. That's why I wouldn't really consider asking anyone to work for me unpaid, as I don't think they would take it as seriously, and I really really need to trust my employees.
Bernie Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Major Player

No problems using students and interns here. Just give them a little training (ours go through a 1 day bootcamp) and then your good to go.

This is one shot by myself and one of our student guys

Old January 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Looked like a very well shot video to me. Thanks for posting.

Loved the confetti shot (or whatever it is they're throwing)... and one thing that struck me is that it's unusual framing. If I was behind the lens, I probably would have lined up the couple's eyes with the top 1/3 of the frame, and not thought too much more about it. But your framing was better for a whole bunch of reasons...
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Major Player

I agree with Adrian. Danny. I really enjoyed your video. I'd be curious if you could point out some of the shots that the student did -- not necessarily all, but maybe just a few, to see how they compare. I saw some that I thought might have been student-shot clips, but I really wouldn't bet on any of them. The whole thing looked very well done.

BTW, what cameras did each of you use?
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #20
Trustee

I have a regular deal with the local uni who recommends a couple of 2nd & 3rd year film students each year - I bring them along as assistants for the 1st few weddings, give them some training and if I think they can handle it I'll give them a go, some don't work out - some do (I find the girls are best, maybe they can see the imortance of a wedding)

I always pay, supply all the quipment and pre-determine camera placement etc. the biggest problem I have? they tend to rely on the monitor for focus and not the viewfinder - must be something they're taught.

With film or media studies students I find they know some of the basics and are not set in their ways so I can train them the way I want. I also pay them to edit if their interested. It's unlikely thet they will stay with you for years but so what? - somewhere along the line you got a chance, a break - it feels good to pass it along.

I've never had one go off and start their own wedding business (good luck to them if they did) but I have had one go on to become an editor for a TV station, another got telepromepter work on another network and then there's Andy - who moved to Thailand to become a video journalist for a major newspaper.

I'm thrilled that I may have had some small part in their progress.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:53 AM   #21
Major Player

I like how you guys are paying for your student shooters. I am very good with DSLR and have my own gear from tripod, monopod, sliders, 8 different lenses, and good understanding of composition and exposure. I have worked on 4 weddings with this guy and he still haven't paid me yet. There was one wedding where he didn't even have a second shooter and I have to fill in that role. But he does teach me a lot though so that's why I'm not as angry.

On the topic of students becoming your competition: don't worry about it (if you don't give them the footage) because past qualities of work, referral, and connections are very important. They'll have to start from the bottom and climb up.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques