DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding website viewable on iPhones, etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/513730-wedding-website-viewable-iphones-etc.html)

Jeff Harper January 24th, 2013 07:42 AM

Wedding website viewable on iPhones, etc.

I need a new website that is viewable on phones, but do not know which way to turn for ideas.

My current site is seriously outdated. A web guy I know is recommending that I choose a Joomla template and he'll customize it. It's written in PHP, which I know nothing about.

Joomla, from what I have researched, is NOT SEO friendly, which is a serious concern for me. Joomla is very responsive, however and apparently great for viewing on phones. Joomla apparently has many potential bugs, which also bothers me.

I do not have deep pockets. I currently have three domains that are plain HTML that are not viewable on phones very well.

My videos need to be viewable on phones, that is a biggie.

Any thoughts as to templates that I could customize that would fit the bill? I'm accustomed to taking care of my own site, which is another reason I don't like the Joomla idea.

Noa Put January 24th, 2013 08:32 AM

Re: Wedding website viewable on iPhones, etc.

On themeforest.net you have a lot of wordpress website themes that adapt themself automatically to any size screen (just search for "responsive" and "retina ready" and your up to date) and for a price of around 45 dollar that's realy cheap. I allready consider myself experienced in setting up these themes for my own use, if I have all the text's, images and videos online (like on vimeo) I am able to get a whole website up and running in a day. For video's the best option to secure playback on mobile devices is either vimeo or youtube.

The time that wordpress was a simple blogging platform is long gone, what website designers these day can do with wordpress is quite amazing.

Rey Lowe January 24th, 2013 09:33 AM

Cyber Chimps has some great Wordpress templates with "responsive design" that adapt to mobile devices. I just dumped my outdated site and went with their iFeature Pro theme just a few months ago.

Jeff Harper January 24th, 2013 09:42 AM

I love the Wordpress designs on each site you both recommend. Very good stuff, looks perfect, thanks a million.

I use Dreamweaver to edit my current site and is all I know. What tools do you use to update and manage content?

Noa Put January 24th, 2013 09:51 AM

You will be working mainly from wordpress backend and it's pretty straightforward from there on. With each premium wordpress theme there is also a helpfile included to set the theme up, it basically means you don't need an external program to maintain your website. There are also tons of free plugins available to add functionality to your site.

You could tweak your websites theme but it requires you to have knowlegde of "php language" (or whatever it's called:) because once you start messing with the theme's original code things breack quickly if you don't know what you are doing.

Well designed wordpress themes work out of the box and there is always a support forum from the designer where you can post any problems you might have, if you report a bug they usually fix it quickly but if you want design changes they will charge you on an hour base.

Jeff Harper January 24th, 2013 10:20 AM

Noa, thanks for the mini tutorial. I don't know html, but I have learned how to work within the contraints of Dreamweaver and I'm familiar enough with it to see issues with code here and there.

I seek a template with a spot on the home page for embedding videos, but can afford to use a designer to make any changes if needed. It seems, based on what you say it is do-able and learnable.

Dennis Duszynski January 24th, 2013 11:33 AM

I went from knowing absolutely nothing about Wordpress to a fantastic looking site in less than 24 hours. The company I purchased the them from, Solostream, had numerous tutorials and help forums to help me figure everything out. As was previously mentioned, the key to gettig your site to look good on phones and tablets is to choose a "responsive" theme.

Daniel Latimer January 24th, 2013 12:01 PM

I would agree that wordpress is very user friendly. A lot of the themes you can buy are just plug and play, so you wouldn't need to know html in order to get a good looking website. We use wordpress for ours as well.

Nigel Barker January 24th, 2013 04:29 PM

I know Joomla well & have used it to develop many websites. We chose it in preference to WordPress over six years ago because it was so much more functional than WordPress which then was a very basic blog platform. We revisited WordPress about 18 months ago & have used it for all the websites that we have developed since. Joomla (or Drupal) is still better for complex sites but WordPress is a very capable platform for the majority of straightforward websites like e.g. for a wedding video company. There are a load of fab themes at great prices on Premium WordPress Themes, Web Templates, Mobile Themes | ThemeForest Look at Cinematic Wedding Video Norfolk - Wedding Photography Norfolk we use a so-called fullscreen theme which is very dramatic but if I were to choose a new theme I would look at a so-called single page theme as the cool theme heavy on images isn't as good for SEO as having all your content effectively on a single page. Take a look at a single page responsive theme like this one WordPress - Zig Zag - Responsive WordPress Template | ThemeForest

Noa Put January 24th, 2013 04:48 PM

Nigel, is a one page website not bad for SEO since it doesn't load any other pages?

Like if I have a portfoliopage called www.website.be/portfolio with several images only and if they click on the image called "wedding_A" then a page opens up as www.website.be/wedding_A, if they click on the portfolio page an image with the name "wedding_B" again another page opens with the name www.website.be/wedding_B and so on.

This means I can add a seo title, meta description and tags per new post that opens up each time a user requests it. I can also write some additional text in each post that also will be picked up by google.

If you would have a portfolio page with all vimeo video embedded like you have on Alice Barker Images - Cinematic Wedding Video & Photography - Video Portfolio clicking a image only triggers a new embedded video to play but isn't this negative for seo as the page title, meta data and so on always remain the same?

Chip Thome January 24th, 2013 07:01 PM

Jeff I took a couple of templates from ElegantThemes and was able to use Dreamweaver CS4 to customize both of them. Dreamweaver opens those individual files and once inside it becomes intuitive how you deal with them. Go find a free template and use Dramweaver to open what's included, if you need some assurance before diving in. EleganTheses has a pretty good support section where most questions one could ask, were already asked and answered. If you find a theme supplier with a similar support forum/section, you'll do fine and be up with a great site for just time !!!

SavingsPath Inc. | Spend Management Solutions
Sales2Inc | Just another WordPress site

Jeff Harper January 24th, 2013 09:18 PM

Nigel, Chip, everyone, much too much information here. Single vs multiple page sites, the choices are many. I will sort through your excellent suggestions and links and try and settle on something.

Nigel Barker January 25th, 2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1775090)
Nigel, is a one page website not bad for SEO since it doesn't load any other pages?

Like if I have a portfoliopage called www.website.be/portfolio with several images only and if they click on the image called "wedding_A" then a page opens up as www.website.be/wedding_A, if they click on the portfolio page an image with the name "wedding_B" again another page opens with the name www.website.be/wedding_B and so on.

This means I can add a seo title, meta description and tags per new post that opens up each time a user requests it. I can also write some additional text in each post that also will be picked up by google.

If you would have a portfolio page with all vimeo video embedded like you have on Alice Barker Images - Cinematic Wedding Video & Photography - Video Portfolio clicking a image only triggers a new embedded video to play but isn't this negative for seo as the page title, meta data and so on always remain the same?

I agree re the video portfolio page. I need to redo the whole website as while it looks great it's very difficult to have any significant content on the home page & Google is very stupid so needs pointing in the right direction all the time.

A single page website is not strictly a single page as once you add a blog that can be other pages. It does however have the benefit that you have all your main content & keywords all on one page rather than being diluted over multiple pages. I think that there are Pros & Cons but as with so much to do with SEO most is just pure speculation as nobody really knows what is going on & Google is just arbitrary most of the time.

Jeff Harper January 25th, 2013 10:06 AM

Noa, your point is well taken, so I googled the topic of multiple pages vs single page. There is no single easy answer for everyone, but for SEO the multiple page thing would seem to be the logical winner for SEO possibilities.

Like Nigel says blog pages can add depth to a site. I tend to agree with you, though, that multiple pages would seem to be a no-brainer, if done right, for SEO.

The advantages of the "coolness" of a well done single page could outweigh things if your conversion rate is higher.

Too much to consider, too many choices. I do love the look of a single page design, it's very cool.

I think if either is done well, which you choose would probably not matter in our tiny little niche markets.

Nigel Barker January 25th, 2013 11:21 AM

I just despair of how arbitrary & illogical Google is at times. We have a lovely looking website & have done all the right things with regard to SEO although I am not convinced that the design of the theme does us any favours. We have lots of nice content & plenty of relevance but if you search on "wedding video Norfolk" which we target you will find that we are on Page 2 beneath a load of mostly less attractive looking sites that have a fraction of the relevant content. The number 1 hit uses a single page website Wedding Films / Videos - Wedding Cinematographers / Videographers based near London UK // Sugarfish Productions - but is not Norfolk based nor apart from one instance of the word has anything to do with Norfolk that I can find even after I have delved down into the HTML source. It's an utter mystery to me why they are number one for "wedding video Norfolk".

On the other hand colleague who uses exactly the same WordPress theme is number one for his target keywords "wedding video Bucks" Mark Shipperley FilmsCinematic wedding videos Go figure!