Prompter -- Questions and options - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Prompter -- Questions and options

A few months ago I ran one of 3 cameras at a trade show "tv station" that we had built on site. Big show, big studio (2nd floor of building trade show was in). This was all going to the associations web site so it was very much like a live to tape show for almost instant play. Anyway one of the sets we had was a newsdesk and the "news reader" was a gal that had done this show many times before and was a consumate professional. If I didn't know better I would have said she was going of the cuff but I DID know better...she was reading from the prompter. She was one of the very best I had every worked with. Here's the key though. She would come in a few minutes before we went "live" sit at the desk and go thru the script on the promter even though she had read thru it on paper numerous times. When crunchtime came, she was absolutely spot on and we did not have to do a single re-take because of her. Other's, not so much but her, not a one! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! ;-)
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: Prompter -- Questions and options

^ +10. Here's a way to learn. Get a local newspaper and circle suitable news items, 2 a page for 3 pages. Get by yourself and record them.
Speak clearly, but if it's really bad, erase and do it again next day. Learn to sight read the items.

Start with basic news, 2 or 3 syllable words. Every day for 15-20 mins only, then STOP! Any longer you'll just get frustrated.
When you make a mistake, never stop to correct it, keep going.

When you 'know' the items and get bored, start again, circle more items. After some days, you should get better becoming more fluent.
Then try a full sports page.

This is how some actors classes work, teaching new Thespians to get commercial gigs to survive, while they wait for their big break.
We were always looking for new voices, Russell Crowe, Geoff Rush and Jacki Weaver were a few.
Crowe was always late to the studio, caused more than a few hassles.

Novice newsreaders learn their trade like this.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques