DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wired Lavalier Recomendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/514081-wired-lavalier-recomendations.html)

Peter Rush February 5th, 2013 09:07 AM

Wired Lavalier Recomendations

Hi - I have a corporate coming up which includes several interviews, where I am filming and then handing over the footage - for my wedding work I use digital recorders and then sync in post. For this job I need a mic to go directly into one of my camera channels (XLR) Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive wired Lavalier I could get?

I thought about making an adapter for my Audio Technica Lav mics going from mono 3.5mm to XLR but then am I going from unbalanced to balanced and would I need a converter?

Pete

Jeff Harper February 5th, 2013 09:39 AM

Re: Wired Lavalier Recomendations

Peter, you might see if Audio Technica has an adapter for your unit.

Roger Van Duyn February 5th, 2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1777332)
Hi - I have a corporate coming up which includes several interviews, where I am filming and then handing over the footage - for my wedding work I use digital recorders and then sync in post. For this job I need a mic to go directly into one of my camera channels (XLR) Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive wired Lavalier I could get?

I thought about making an adapter for my Audio Technica Lav mics going from mono 3.5mm to XLR but then am I going from unbalanced to balanced and would I need a converter?

Pete

Some cameras that have the twin XLR inputs also have a mini mic jack too. But it's usually a stereo jack and your mono mic will save to both channels. So you'd just have audio from the person speaking, and absolutely nothing else. However, you could save some room tone to mix in later in post, along with mixing in some applause. Maybe set up one of your digital recorders separately.

Oops, forgot it's a hand over the footage gig.

Maybe use the headphone out from one of your recorders into the mini mic jack on the camera. I've done headphone out from a mixer several times into the mini mic jack on a Canon XH-A1 with good results.

Peter Rush February 5th, 2013 10:22 AM

Hi Guys - the camera only has XLR inputs (Sony EA50) and Audio Technica don't have anything suitable - All my lavalier mics have mono 3.5mm Jacks and do not require phantom power - I really just need an adapter - but which?

Pete

Peter Riding February 5th, 2013 11:08 AM

I have a Canford adapter ref 20-769 which I got in order to attach a Sennheiser lav to XLR inputs:

CANFORD ELECTRET MICROPHONE ADAPTER 3.5mm jack

You'll see there are lots of options. Canford will recommend the particular one you need and make it up if necessary.

They are not particularly cheap but still a useful thing to have. They are very well made.

Pete

Edward Carlson February 5th, 2013 12:34 PM

A decent lav mic plus the adapter might be more than a lav mic with an XLR plug already. I would take a look at the Sony ECM-XX series. You can find them used on eBay all the time.

Nate Haustein February 5th, 2013 01:09 PM

Hi Peter, why don't you just rent one for the day. It would probably be the cheapest option with the best quality for your purposes.

Craig Terott February 5th, 2013 05:47 PM

delete delete

Peter Rush February 6th, 2013 03:01 AM

Just bought an ECM-44B off ebay for £60 - bargain!

Thanks guys

Nigel Barker February 6th, 2013 06:10 AM

I think that it was someone on this forum who recommended these lav mics which are brilliant quality for a very cheap price. UltraDisk Microphones

The Rode 3.5mm jack to XLR adapters are cheap http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/74...-35mm-to-XLR-3

I like to use my Sennheiser G3 wireless mics for this sort of situation rather than trailing a long cable across the room.

Nigel Barker February 6th, 2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1777507)
Just bought an ECM-44B off ebay for £60 - bargain!

Thanks guys

There are a couple more at £60/65 or best offer. I am tempted myself at that price.

Peter Rush February 6th, 2013 07:56 AM

Nigel look closely - there is tape around the base of the microphone where the insulation has come away

Aya Okawa February 20th, 2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1777538)
I think that it was someone on this forum who recommended these lav mics which are brilliant quality for a very cheap price. UltraDisk Microphones

The Rode 3.5mm jack to XLR adapters are cheap RODE VXLR microphone adapter, 3.5mm to XLR-3

I like to use my Sennheiser G3 wireless mics for this sort of situation rather than trailing a long cable across the room.

I may be chiming in too late but FWIW I have one of the Rode adapters you looked at above and found that it was only intermittently functional -if the mic cable was moved it would disturb the signal, and its not a cable problem as I use that mic regularly - so I have never been able to reliably use it with adapter. Could have been a faulty item but I didn't have the time to handle an exchange on it. Just thought I'd mention it.

Allan Black February 20th, 2013 02:59 PM

Aya; Rode have sold thousands of those without any problems, they're a very basic circuit.
You should return yours to the seller.

Cheers.

Peter Rush February 20th, 2013 03:29 PM

I also got one of these Samson mics for £47 - used it today and it's great!

SAMSON QL5 Lavalier Microphone at Reidys.com - The home of Music on the web.

Pete