Your Gear-Hauling Solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Your Gear-Hauling Solutions

Just looking to see your favorite setup for hauling stuff...we're looking for some kind of bag or case or cart to do a "one-trip" carry into the church or reception hall.

We're always a two-person team, but not always together, so sometimes it is a lot of gear that one person needs to haul in at once. It would be nice to have everything all together, and just curious if you had a favorite set-up or suggestion.

I know I have seen a few people post their custom-designed rigs but can't seem to find those posts.

Thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Your Gear-Hauling Solutions

Just wanted to point out that our Home, Away From Home forum is a good place to check out previous discussions that are related to this topic... it's located at Home, Away From Home Forum at DVinfo.net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Major Player

This is what Im using RocknRoller MultiCart — Shelves on the top shelves that is where I lay all my 3 tripods and my mic stands etc. It's easy to fold and very compact. It's on sale fpr $89.00 plus free shipping at this store Folding Cart - Rock N Roller - Folding Carts - Multi Carts
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm iffy on carts -- I go up and down a lot of stairs during weddings. But I also want to be able to move everything in one trip, given that sometimes you're parking quite a distance away from ceremony or reception, or are running to board a boat, or whatever. So, what I do is simple and inelegant -- just get the biggest freaking bags you can find.

-- Backpack for each person: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487265-REG/Lowepro_LP35020_PEU_Vertex_300_AW_Backpack.html. One is full of camera stuff, and the other is full of sound stuff + some extras (like power boards, gaffer tape, AA and AAA batteries).

-- Rolling case for each person: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/830005-REG/Cinevate_Inc_CWSC_42_Camera_Slider_Grip_Case.html. These rolling cases can be picked up if necessary, for the stairs. One has stuff I need during prep (slider, jib, tripod), and the other ceremony/reception stuff (more tripods, light stands, microphone stands). I also pack plastic containers in these to carry additional equipment that doesn't fit in the backpacks (like LED lights, and battery recharging stuff).

-- Other hand free to carry a monopod or steadicam.

-- Belt for each person: We both wear Lowepro belts to carry cards and batteries.

What doesn't fit neatly: mannequin to put the dress on (left in car after prep); extra bag with snacks and water (left in car); additional empty bag for camera stuff (because it's always harder to pack everything back in at the end of the night -- having one more bag makes it a lot easier... and it's easy to carry one additional empty backpack into the reception anyway).

I do sometimes carry a lazy susan for ring shots, and this kind of squishes in one of the Lowepro backpacks, but not happily.

Note: couldn't carry all this stuff with just one person in one trip... Well, you can, and I have, but it's madness, and might involve leapfrogging (walk 50m with some gear, drop it and leave it, walk back for the rest of the gear, take this second pile to 50m in front of the first pile, then walk back for the first pile and take it 50m in front of the second pile...).

So, with just one person, I'd be looking to scale back the gear, or pay someone to be a porter for the day, if the budget doesn't allow for another videographer.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone so far...I have been looking at the Rock n Roller multi carts that Ricky suggested. we were also thinking a large Pelican case on wheels, that had a custom space for each piece of gear, but then would still be left with the issue of hauling tripods and mic stands.

I like the idea of something that has a designated spot for everything, because at the end of the night if that spot is empty, we know we're missing something. It hasn't happened much, but has happened!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Check into the gear bags designed for drum equipment. I use a rolling soft case made by Roadrunner.

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

My favorite piece of gear is my Loewpro case, holds two video cameras (Canon XA-10s), two small DSLRs, lenses, batteries and lights and assorted accessories.

Lowepro Pro Roller X300 DSLR Rolling Digital Camera Case Backpack F Nikon Canon | eBay
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques