DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   CRB check for weddings. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/514197-crb-check-weddings.html)

Oliver Nuther February 9th, 2013 05:07 AM

CRB check for weddings.

I've just been told by a couple who've booked me to do their wedding that the vicar has said that he'll only allow video if the videographer has a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check.
I have no concerns about getting one but I can't find any way to apply for one for myself, it seems that only certain organisations are eligible to apply for them, not the person being checked.

I've never come across this before for a church wedding. Is it something that anyone else in the UK has been asked for, if so how have you dealt with it?

Dave Farrants February 9th, 2013 05:29 AM

Re: CRB check for weddings.

I'm no expert on this but I do have a CRB obtained for me by an organisation. The system is changing (this week is the last to obtain a current CRB as I understand it), CRB's are phased out and a new check DBS (Disclosure and Barring ) is replacing it - Disclosure and Barring Service | Home Office

You still can't apply for yourself BUT - https://www.gov.uk/crb-criminal-records-bureau-check - this page says you can be a UK resident (anywhere in the UK) and apply for a basic check via Disclosure Scotland - Apply online for Basic Disclosure - Disclosure Scotland - it costs £25 (figure that one out!)

I've never heard of a Vicar asking for a CRB before and I don't know of anyone else who has - Perhaps try going over his head and asking his Bishop why it's needed.

Edit - (Current CRB application forms only accepted till the end of this month - not this week as I thought)

Oliver Nuther February 9th, 2013 05:56 AM

I've called him this morning and I'm going to meet with him tomorrow. He wouldn't go into his reasons on the phone.

Paul R Johnson February 9th, 2013 12:44 PM

It's always been a bit daft that you cannot get yourself checked, but the vicar has his set of rules. Even though even if you work connected with children, CRB in either of the formats, and the new one isn't necessary unless you need unsupervised access to children - some people are actually doing them to discover criminal records, which is not really what they were for.

I frequently work in schools and my CRB check ran out two years ago, and nobody ever asks about it - because when I'm in a school, I don't get left with the kids. I also manage a team of chaperones for pantomime each year, and they have full CRBs, but I don't - because they work directly with the kids, not me!

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2013 12:52 PM

The more I hear about what UK videographers have to deal with in churches, the worse I feel for you guys. It's just unfortunate.

Dave Partington February 9th, 2013 01:47 PM

.....and then the 'church' wonder why fewer and fewer people want to get married in church.

Roger Gunkel February 9th, 2013 09:41 PM

I don't see how any Vicar has any reason to ask for you to have a CRB check or it's new replacement. Firstly it would be neccessary only if working closely with children or vulnerable adults, or in some cases, work involving handling money. Secondly, a CRB check could only be applied for by a potential employer, and the wedding videographer would not be employed by the Vicar, so it is nothing to do with him!

I cannot envisage any way that a wedding videographer would be working in circumstances that would require a CRB check, in fact I would suggest that with the current and recent scandals regarding the clergy and children, that it might be more appropriate for the videographer to suggest that the vicar has a CRB check!! Remind the vicar that your contract is with your client and they are the only ones that can request your compliance with specific requirements that they may have.

It just seems another situation where a member of the clergy is sticking his nose into an area that he knows nothing about to massage his own self importance.

Roger

Chris Harding February 10th, 2013 12:51 AM

Gosh, the videographer standing in public view in the aisle, I wonder if he is a mass murderer, serial killer or just a plain ole pediophile casting an evil eye on my children.

The Churches in the UK seem to have gone totally crazy!! Soon the headlines will read "Brave couple decide to get married in a Church", "Vicar says it's our first wedding in 13 years"

Luckily we don't have that rubbish over here and Church weddings are still on the decrease so I can imagine how fast they will decline in the UK soon.

Civil ceremonies are easier to shoot and more fun too ... maybe it's about time they built a few wedding chapels like they have in Vegas ...no nonsense and no fuss and it's all about the bride's needs not the Church needs. I'm quite amazed people still put up with that sort of nonsense!!

Chris

Oliver Nuther February 10th, 2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Nuther (Post 1778152)
I've called him this morning and I'm going to meet with him tomorrow. He wouldn't go into his reasons on the phone.

Someone's suggested that I ask the vicar to tell me how many videographers have been accused or charged with offenses against children and then to remind me of how many clergymen have.
It probably wont be a long meeting.

Chris Harding February 10th, 2013 05:16 AM

Hi Oliver

I would be a little careful on that subject..we all know the issue but it is unlikely to put you in his good books!! Just bite the bullet and do as he says and get thru the ceremony and hope you don't have to shoot in his Church again. Yeah it would be great to remind him about that specified issue but it certainly will cause a huge amount of nastiness towards you and your day in Church will be made as difficult as possible.

Chris

Peter Rush February 10th, 2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1778239)
I don't see how any Vicar has any reason to ask for you to have a CRB check or it's new replacement. Firstly it would be neccessary only if working closely with children or vulnerable adults, or in some cases, work involving handling money. Secondly, a CRB check could only be applied for by a potential employer, and the wedding videographer would not be employed by the Vicar, so it is nothing to do with him!
Roger

I agree Roger - It seems to me this Vicar doesn't want a videographer and so is putting up ignorant barriers - is he asking the same of the photographer, or the people who are coming in to do the flowers etc etc - I doubt it.

I bend over backwards to be professional and accommodating to clergy but you wonder who the day is about - the vicar or the couple!

Oliver Nuther February 10th, 2013 07:38 AM

Well I've just been to meet the vicar and he was charming and friendly. He just seems to be overly concerned that if the footage was to be used 'inappropriately' he will be held responsible for allowing it to be filmed and have to answer to his bishop. He wouldn't elaborate on what would be considered inappropriate, though reading between the lines it seems that someone may have posted something on youtube of him, or someone, making a fowl up at a wedding. He was still asking for a reference though so I've suggested he contacts the vicar at my local church where I've done a couple of weddings. In the end he seemed happy to allow me to film and trust me not to do anything 'inappropriate, the patronising cheek of the man. Maybe I'll ask him for a written reference after the wedding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Nuther (Post 1778290)
Someone's suggested that I ask the vicar to tell me how many videographers have been accused or charged with offenses against children and then to remind me of how many clergymen have.
It probably wont be a long meeting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1778294)
I would be a little careful on that subject..we all know the issue but it is unlikely to put you in his good books!! Just bite the bullet and do as he says and get thru the ceremony and hope you don't have to shoot in his Church again. Yeah it would be great to remind him about that specified issue but it certainly will cause a huge amount of nastiness towards you and your day in Church will be made as difficult as possible.
Chris

Chris your warning is noted but my above post was meant to be lighthearted, I'm not so tactless as to say that to him. Perhaps I should have used a smiley face to indicate that.

Chris Harding February 10th, 2013 08:20 AM

Hi Oliver

Good for you! I wouldn't think any decent videographer would film anything in-appropriate anyway. I'm sure it will go well from here on. This is one reason why I also attend rehearsals..to meet the vicar and assure him/her that I am a decent person (assuming I haven't met them before) Most popular Churches I know the guy anyway!

I actually had a civil wedding on saturday and the groomsman fainted in the very high heat..while we were getting him up and rehydrating him I switch the cam off and then continued when he was OK ...I COULD have become a news cameraman and filmed him on the ground and posted a YouTube video about it BUT that's not my style.

Chris

Roger Gunkel February 10th, 2013 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Oliver Nuther;1778313] He wouldn't elaborate on what would be considered inappropriate, though reading between the lines it seems that someone may have posted something on youtube of him, or someone, making a fowl up at a wedding. He was still asking for a reference though so I've suggested he contacts the vicar at my local church where I've done a couple of weddings. In the end he seemed happy to allow me to film and trust me not to do anything 'inappropriate, the patronising cheek of the man. Maybe I'll ask him for a written reference after the wedding.

/QUOTE]

It sounds to me that if he is concerned that you might film him making a fowl up and you or the couple posting it on Youtube, that his own competence might be lacking. Rather than you asking him for a reference, perhaps your client needs to ask him for a reference before paying hime to officiate over their wedding!

Roger

Noa Put February 10th, 2013 12:43 PM

I wonder if it is up to us to go through all that trouble to get a permission to film a wedding, in Belgium I never have any issues but in the Netherlands I have had 2 cases with priests forbidding me to enter the church or a priest telling me where to stand and not to move, which was in a position I could not get a clear shot of what was happening.
In both situations I told my client what was going on but they where afraid to go against the priest and said it was ok. In both cases the client did not complain after I delivered the dvd.