Voice recorder on Bride? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Voice recorder on Bride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Yeah - I would imagine the pleasure of mic'ing up a bride in Honolulu would be quite different from the Cornwall experience! LOL
You got that right lol
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #17
New Boot

Thanks for the response guys. Learned alot!
Derek Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #18
New Boot

I'm really surprised at the number of negative suggestions regarding mic'ing a bride. I do it all the time and have never had an issue with the bride or the technology. When you hear the results, you'll never want to go back. John, I'm not sure what your issue is...

I use an older iRiver mp3 recorder. I have her or a bridesmaid clip it on her garter andturn it on well before the ceremony. The bonus is that I get fabulous candid audio before the ceremony that makes for great background narration.

As for mic placement, I have a white lav with a Rycote cover. I hide it in the dress so you never see it. Even if it's a lacey dress you won't notice it because it's white.
Alan Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Auld View Post
I use an older iRiver mp3 recorder. I have her or a bridesmaid clip it on her garter and turn it on well before the ceremony.

No. I don't believe you. This is a wind up.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Major Player

has anyone got a link to the iriver?
which one do you all use?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Major Player

The Amazing iRiver Recorder VideoUniversity

You'll need the older model ones... iFP 7xx and 8xx models (get them on eBay). Use with a Giant Squid mic. Great for podiums.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I really had to smile - if there's a need, then mic 'em up! I don't do weddings I do theatre - and we routinely put transmitter packs on girls with tight tricky costumes. We always use mic bags - white linen pockets that wardrobe knock up in 5 minutes, they have two ties on, and you just pop the recorder or tx pack into them, and then attach it - if the person is fuller up front, then central underneath attached to the front centre between the cups, or in the small of the back, if the dress is high. if there's more loose material at the rear, then the bag goes at the back, tied to the waist dropping down the bum crack line. If we have ultra tight costumes - think Japanese/eastern dress, the packs would make an obvious bulge. If the girl is very slim in the legs, there can be a gap between the upper thighs. If they put their feet together, the lack of big thighs means there is a gap where you can tape the pack to. I suspect a bride would not be happy with this one, but actresses usually are. we usually have an A2 or even A3 (as in Audio person No. 3) who may well be dedicated to radio mic fitting. Sometimes we even hide them in hair pieces. I'm not sure what you may call it in the States, but small mics can be painted with tippex (typo correction fluid) to hide them on a white dress - it scratches off quite easily afterwards.The key feature is that mics need to be fitted by somebody who can act professionally, and it rarely causes embarrassment when done properly. The pack gaffer taped to the inner thigh is effective, but very painful to remove - so they need warning before you do it!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #23
New Boot

I totally agree Paul. There's a lot of people out there that get freaked out when dealing with a bride. Sure, not all of them will be comfortable with the idea, but then again, some aren't comfortable being in front of the camera either. It works for me as I make a point in establishing a comfort level with the couple long before the wedding. When it comes time to mic'ing, she has no problem.

No John, it's not a wind up. I use the old iRiver ifp 800. There's still a few kicking around ebay for cheap. Yes, the Giant Squid mics work well and come in white. Throw on a a Rycote cover and you're good to go.

Mic'ing the groom only limits you with audio. If it's outdoors and windy you won't pick her up as well.
Alan Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote from that Still Motion blog on their stuffed toy wedding:

"We’ve also stopped relying so much on soundtrack. Now we use more natural audio and dialogue. In the end it makes for a much deeper, richer story — you’ll notice a huge difference in the emotional impact of your wedding films if you put effort into catching any exchanges in dialogue that are especially funny, sentimental, or cute (and often this means going to extra mile to mic the couple as much as possible)."

Does that mean they mic the bride? Seems quite possible to me.

Personally, I've never done it, but some of the posts in this thread are making me reconsider.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques