Deliver product online? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Deliver product online?

With the proliferation of online home entertainment such as LoveFilm, Netflix, Sky etc etc it seems physical media such as DVD and Blu-Ray's days might be numbered

DVDs Are Dying, and There's Worse News Ahead for Hollywood - DailyFinance

DVD industry in crisis as sales slump | Media | The Guardian

And that report was in 2010

What does that mean for us trying to deliver a wedding video? I can't see You Tube or even Vimeo being a professional delivery option - are we all going to have to own our own streaming servers? I have visited one couple recently that did not own a DVD or Blu-Ray player - I'm delivering theirs on a USB stick - but even that platform might be short lived

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Deliver product online?

We already deliver ours via DVD/Blu-Ray and USB and online via Vimeo (then circulated via Facebook, usually).

The only video we don't put online is the longest, more documentary style version that runs 20-45 minutes and for which we don't license music.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Much ado about nothing to me. No time to panic. For now all of my customers expect DVDs/Blurays/USB sticks.

Everyone knows that DVDs days are numbered, this is not new information. Every form of media becomes obsolete and replaced with something else.

What does it mean? It means nothing to me as of this moment. My customers today want/expect DVDs and Blurays and an occasional USB stick. That is what I'll deliver until the next thing comes along.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The real problem will be copyrighted music - currently a PRS Licence allows use of music on DVDs - something my clients love - putting such content online is prohibited - eventually I see it as a real problem. No need to worry for the moment though!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good point Peter. We are certainly in the midst of an extremely tumultuous period for music/video. Luckily for us things don't occur overnight. As video professionals we do try and anticipate things ahead of the curve, so the point of your original post is well taken, but nothing to be overly concerned with either, at least not yet.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't really see much of a problem to be honest, as we just supply on whatever is the current media. I have recently put several wedding videos onto client's iPads and have been asked to put a coming wedding onto their iPhones. Another delivery method I have used recently was to a 10" digital photo frame on mp4.

We just need to move with the technology.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Major Player

This year I started offering a discount if they don't get DVDs. I have had 3 take me up on it so far. So that's everything delivered on vimeo. Lickety split. by 2014, I hope to be DVD free
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques