To DVD or not to DVD? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: To DVD or not to DVD?

My experience is that most recent tv's can read mp4 without an issue, even my mpeg2 can be read on some but there are still new tv's, like these philips ambilight that can only handle divx avi files. I think if you would convert to a divx avi file about every tv should be able to read that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it - but exactly what file format, container type, file extension and codec are you using on the USB stick?

I tried several file types tonight, including MP4, MOV and a couple of others and my TV didn't see any of them!
Time to get a new TV?

There is no need to muck about with a USB stick. The triple packaging that you see for some movies nowadays (Blu-ray, DVD & digital copy) don't have a USB stick for the digital copy they just have a download link. That leaves it up to the purchaser to figure out what they want to do with the digital copy & USB sticks are yesterday's technology when you can just click on the download link & import the movie into iTunes.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Time to get a new TV?
Well, the question for me is always why should I? Since we're still not getting everything in 1080p, the TV still exceeds what is being transmitted! :)

Quote:
There is no need to muck about with a USB stick. The triple packaging that you see for some movies nowadays (Blu-ray, DVD & digital copy) don't have a USB stick for the digital copy they just have a download link. That leaves it up to the purchaser to figure out what they want to do with the digital copy & USB sticks are yesterday's technology when you can just click on the download link & import the movie into iTunes.
I totally agree. But we're trying to figure out how to streamline the post production workflow a little and offering a USB stick INSTEAD of DVD was one option I was considering, since it saves the MPEG2 compression time, loss of HD, building main menu, chapters, case design, label design etc etc. It's not a 30 minute job to make a DVD ;) While the raw cost of a USB stick and tin is more than the cost of some DVDs, the time to make them is worth something, so the USB stick could actually work out cheaper.

I'm seeing more and more people offering USB sticks, but I can't quite figure out what the best format would be. It seems my TV only plays USB sticks that are standard definition! Doh!

I guess we're stuck with the DVD workflow for now, unless some one can tell me how they actually make brides happy with USB only AND don't have to handle support calls when they can't play them!

The problem with the downloads (we do provide them now) is that untold number of people seem to have amazing problems with downloads. When I look at the sever logs they often have 5 or 10 attempts to download the files (from the same IP, so it's not multiple people) before finally getting it. that has to be frustrating for them, and any time they are frustrated (download, DVD, BD or USB stick), your reputation takes a hit.
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I wouldn't rely on the TV being able to play the file off a USB stick. More recent ones may do a decent job but many older ones won't even have a USB socket. Many other devices e.g. Blu-ray players, Freesat PVR etc can play HD MPEG4 files of a USB stick but your best bet is a dedicated standalone media player like one of these for just £26.99 (equivalent of $40 including tax) Xenta Full HD 1080p Media Player | Ebuyer.com

The downside for the client of delivery on USB stick is that they lose the convenience of the menu & navigation possibilities available with DVD or Blu-ray.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
The downside for the client of delivery on USB stick is that they lose the convenience of the menu & navigation possibilities available with DVD or Blu-ray.
I totally agree. I'm not sure if this craze will actually take here of or die a death one people realise they can only really play them on their computers reliably.

What about the guys in the USA? What are your experiences of this?
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #36
Inner Circle

I've been offering USB and SD delivery options for about 18 months, and always have an example with me when I visit new clients. If they are interested in the formats, I try them on their TV to see if they run ok. If they do then they can have the final work in Mpeg4 so that they get a mich higher picture quality than with dvd.

I find as Dave said, creating menus, chapters, writing to dvd, artwork, printing etc is time consuming and a PITA! I'm not convinced on the download route, as it is only possible for those with a good reliable broadband download speed and the right package. Certainly on the UK outside main cities I can't see that being reliable enough.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #37
Trustee

Well, I've been looking in to this a lot more. Maybe I need to forget having the USB stick play in TVs at all. Some of them support HD, some only SD. Some need divx and can't play mp4, others want mp4 and can't play divx etc etc.

However, maybe it makes sense to just given the the HD files on the stick and be done with it. Even give them a link showing how to burn their own DVD from it if they want. It seems trivial in windows and for older macs with iDVD it's equally as trivial. Shame iDVD is no longer available and some macs don't even have a drive anymore!

Still, it's an option I think I'm going to offer, either as an alternative to, or as well as, DVD and Blu-ray.
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #38
Inner Circle

You don't need a USB stick to give them the digital files as you can just burn them to a DVD labelled clearly as a digital copy.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques