To DVD or not to DVD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 1st, 2013, 04:30 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: To DVD or not to DVD?

Roger
That's exactly what I also do. Supply them 3 copies of DVD. If the specifically ask me (during the negotiations) for a copy of blue ray than I charge them some extra money for that. So far nobody asked me for a blue ray (just as well).

stelios
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I supply the couple with 3 dvds so that they have the option of having one for themselves and one for each set of Parents with on body printing and printed sleeves and cases.. I also give them full copying roghts to make as many copies as they wish and tell them that I can also make copies for them if they prefer at any time.

I actually get requests for about 40-50 extra copies per year.

Roger
How can you give them full copying rights to the soundtrack that required PPL and/or MCPS?
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
How can you give them full copying rights to the soundtrack that required PPL and/or MCPS?
Roger could be composing bespoke music for them:-) Alternatively he could be using only royalty free production music.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Roger could be composing bespoke music for them:-) Alternatively he could be using only royalty free production music.
And the ceremony?
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
And the ceremony?
To continue playing the Devils' Advocate:-) No licence is required if no recorded music is used & any other music is very likely out of copyright e.g. Mendelssohn's Wedding March or anything from Hymns Ancient & Modern.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
To continue playing the Devils' Advocate:-) No licence is required if no recorded music is used & any other music is very likely out of copyright e.g. Mendelssohn's Wedding March or anything from Hymns Ancient & Modern.
It's not a problem provided no copyright music is used and no copyrighted words are spoken etc. All well and good.

Maybe Roger can confirm this is the case for all his weddings....and how I find such brides :)
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:49 PM   #22
Inner Circle

It's not giving them copyright as that is something that I can only do on the bits that are my copyright or out of copyright. What I actually do as I said in my earlier post, is give them full 'copying right', which is not the same thing at all. Copying right gives them domain over their own wedding, which means that they are bound by the came copyright laws as I am, but are free to use the work that I have produced for them without needing permission from me. It simply transfers responsibility to them and they will need to obtain any approriate permissions from MCPS etc depending on the use that they intend to put any further copies to.

It also meands that if any past clients take it on their own back to make multi copies which I am sure many of your clients probably do, there is no come back on me as I have fulfilled my legal obligations according to the terms of license. The client has officially assumed the ownership of my work from that point and requirements of 3rd party copyright are made clear to them.

They can of course come back to me if they would prefer me to carry out further copies for them.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM   #23
Trustee

Thanks Roger. That sorta kinda clears up where you're at, and I don't necessarily disagree with your position, but it 'is' something we all need to be aware of.

I know several local videographers than don't pay the PPL or MCPS and their attitude is "don't care, they'll never come after me".
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM   #24
Inner Circle

You are perfectly correct on copyright Dave and many people seem to think it simply does not matter.

With another hat on, I was heavily nvolved in the music business for over 30 years on the recording, releasing and management sides plus dealing with various writers and publishing companies. I have also written songs and backing tracks fior many years, sometimes for other companies and sometimes for my own use. Nothing major, but for corporate and sports and promotion work where copyright free material is needed. I have even written simple guitar pieces for weddings before now.

One thing tha I have found out is just how complicated copyright can be and how many grey areas of interpretation there still can be.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM   #25
Major Player

This topic has completely drifted off course!

Back to the original question: I find that most of my couples want at LEAST one blu-ray. The DVDs go mainly to their parents. I'm getting more and more blu-ray only requests.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:59 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
This topic has completely drifted off course!

Back to the original question: I find that most of my couples want at LEAST one blu-ray. The DVDs go mainly to their parents. I'm getting more and more blu-ray only requests.
As far as I can tell, not one of the bookings I have this year want Blu-ray and none of them have opted for the USB stick either! They just want DVDs.

Go figure...

Oh, and on the topic of memory sticks, I don't yet see an option within the PPL and MCPS for distribution on USB memory instead of CD/DVD/Blu-ray. Does it yet exist officially?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Oh, and on the topic of memory sticks, I don't yet see an option within the PPL and MCPS for distribution on USB memory instead of CD/DVD/Blu-ray. Does it yet exist officially?
A USB memory stick appears to be covered in the FAQ for the Limited Manufacture Licence http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteColle.../LM%20FAQs.pdf
Quote:
Formats:
CD, cassette, minidisk, vinyl, DAT, DVD, Blu-ray disk, HD-DVD, VHS, CD-Rom or any
other physical format.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Trustee

Thank Nigel. They updated that document since I last checked.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #29
Major Player

I was actually discussing this last week with a friend of mine.

In terms of content delivery, based on what I've experienced in the past 2 years, I've only delivered one project in BD format. Everything else is SD DVD.

I theorized that for the tech savy crowd, they've maybe bypassed Blu Ray and gone straight to digital delivery as the preferred method. I'm thinking primarily of things like NetFlix, Hulu, and USB ports on the TV kind of thing.

Of course, I have no actual data to back that up, but I know what my friends and I are doing, and that's the route just about everyone I know has taken. I only know just a couple people that have a Blu Ray player.

I may have to amend my stuff to include delivery on a thumbdrive, maybe in lieu of a DVD if they want it.

I already give them all the original footage on the original media (SD Cards and miniDV tapes)
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #30
Trustee

Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it - but exactly what file format, container type, file extension and codec are you using on the USB stick?

I tried several file types tonight, including MP4, MOV and a couple of others and my TV didn't see any of them!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques