DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Stillness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515040-stillness.html)

Adrian Tan March 14th, 2013 06:01 AM

Stillness

Random thought... Thinking about some of my favourite shots from the past year (most of which were taken accidentally). And some of the best ones, I think, weren't about shallow depth of field or sliders or steadicams.

For instance: father of the bride, in limousine en route to ceremony, looking out window, smiling, with different sorts of lighting playing on his face as the car drove along. Simple close-up. Static.

What really made this shot special in the final edit (and I didn't edit it myself) was the music choice. Just this moment, where the camera stayed on him, and the music seemed to comment on or contrast with or explain the image or whatever, and the pattern of light seemed to suggest thinking. Just this moment of stillness and thinking.

Maybe part of what made it impressive to me was that there really aren't many such moments amidst the noise and busyness of weddings. People are crying or laughing or wearing their heart on their sleeve during weddings -- but when do bride and groom, or any of the bridal party, find the time to be by themselves, and just be in the moment? Even when she's walking down the aisle and videographers are desperate to capture this amazing "first look" when the couple haven't seen each other all day -- well, even that moment is a bit fake. She's on show, and she knows it.

If you choose a song where the lyrics go, "I got a feeling that tonight's going to be a good night. Tonight's going to be a good, good night", and then you show people jumping around on the dance floor, that's boring to me. The images illustrate the music rather than add anything to it, the music tells you what you're supposed to feel, and what you're supposed to feel is uncomplicated. -- I think I'm more drawn at the moment to music that doesn't tell you what to think or feel, and which leaves a gap for the viewer to insert their own interpretation, and where the play of image and audio engages you more than just emotionally.

Art Varga March 14th, 2013 08:58 AM

Re: Stillness

Adrian - totally agree. I obsess over music selection and find myself using more instrumentals now to allow the music to support the visuals but not dominate.

Art

Robert Benda March 14th, 2013 10:33 AM

Re: Stillness

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1784321)
Adrian - totally agree. I obsess over music selection and find myself using more instrumentals now to allow the music to support the visuals but not dominate.

Every few weeks, I spend an hour or two listening to samples on theMusicBed.com and have lists of ideas and options. Time well spent.