Opinion on REDHEAD Lighting Kits ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Trustee

Opinion on REDHEAD Lighting Kits ?

I don't actually own a lighting kit ... I have been happily using hotshoe 192 LED Lights running on Sony's L Series 970 batteries for 2 years now and they are very powerful.

But I think it's time I invested on a lighting kit to just keep in the boot of my car and to use if needed. Usually more lighting than LED lights are required for banqueting halls.

Now the REDHEAD 800w Kits, with Stands & Dimmers appeal to me so I have bought 2 of them for under £150 delivered (btw they are FULLY EARTHED versions unlike some i've read about).

An affordable price in my opinion as I spent £100 (£50 each) on the battery powered hotshoe LED lights alone.

What's your experience with these REDHEADS? share a few words please. Are they stable enough on the stands, can they easily be knocked over?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Opinion on REDHEAD Lighting Kits ?

Hi James,

Redheads are still very good at placing a big blob of tungsten light on something. IMO they are too powerful for a small interview setup but for sticking some light in a large space they are a valuable tool. I occasionally bounce one off a ceiling to raise ambient light level or even out of a window if I am interviewing outside and need a quick and dirty backlight. They are stable on the right stand. Lightweight aluminum Arri stands are fine as long as they aren't going to get knocked but that goes for any lights.

I have 4 redheads and 2 Arri 300 fresnels that I hardly ever use. If you fancy buying them, give drop me a line, I'm near London and normally in a few times a week.

07773 179773
mmarriage (at) orange (dot) net

Yours

Mike
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Opinion on REDHEAD Lighting Kits ?

Cheers for the feedback Mike. Yes that's exactly what I need ... last thing I want to do is film with grain when im providing a 1080p film on Bluray. Any source of lighting on the subject will be useful. Reason I particularly bought them was because I have been booked for an indian wedding in 2 months at a banqueting hall so I just want two lights aimed at the stage when guests / family pose next to the bride and groom.

I've actually purchased 2 already off ebay - so thanks for the offer.

I doubt I will use them often, but for the price I think it's important to have and keep in the car OR even setup at the venue - you just never know.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques