DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anti-theft? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515489-anti-theft.html)

Adrian Tan April 1st, 2013 02:49 PM

Anti-theft?

Dear all, do you do anything special to guard against theft?

This is a constant worry that I have; and, to be honest, there's not much I've so far come up with to help. I try to put bags in less conspicuous/accessible place during the reception. That's about it. But this wouldn't stop a camera-loving guest walking up to the bags while I was busy elsewhere and going home with a $3000 lens in his pocket if he were so inclined.

Locks -- would hinder our ability to grab gear under pressure; wouldn't stop people taking the entire bag; and couldn't protect gear left elsewhere -- like cameras on tripods on the dance floor.

Tying bags to table legs or similar -- doesn't really seem that practical/possible most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Katie Fasel April 1st, 2013 02:59 PM

Re: Anti-theft?

I don't know about preventing it...but I'm always worried about it, which is why we carry a small bag with us at all times, something small that fits comfortably over the shoulder (s).

In it, is our batteries, cards, and car keys. And I'm 99% of the time with my camera. That way if our large bags ever do get taken, we have the bare-bones we need to at least finish that day.

Jim Schuchmann April 1st, 2013 03:40 PM

Just had an idea - Place a Go-Pro on a light stand next to the DJ table and point it towards the spot where the gear is stored.

If anyone messes with your stuff, you have it on video and very likely of being able to identify the thief, especially when you inform the B&G of your loss of their footage.

Stephen J. Williams April 1st, 2013 03:57 PM

Hey Jim...

Personally I love that idea, although in a dark room a gopro might be a bit obsolete... If I owned a gopro, I would most likely do this. Instead I'll probably just print out some signs to put on my case and on the wall behind it stating that this particular area is under video surveillance. Even though it wont be true, it might be just enough to detour someone from walking out with my gear.

I've had my H2 taken twice already (different ones), and it's an empty feeling.

Steve

Justin Kuhn April 1st, 2013 05:16 PM

If you manage to hit it off with the DJ you can station your stuff with their table and at least put forth the general impression that someone is going to notice if a sticky-fingered guest walks by and picks something up.

That spot tends to be very visible, as well. You don't want a spot that's not visible, but accessible; that just makes it easier. It should be a locked room or a spot out where everyone can see the thief in action.

Art Varga April 1st, 2013 05:30 PM

Knock on wood - nothing has ever happened to me in the 5 years I've been doing this but I am always worried about it. Especially during a dark reception with a lot of people. Most of the time me and my other shooter are in and out of our bags so much that it doesn't seem too risky but there are times like when we are eating dinner, or heading outside for a quick photo shoot that I feel vulnerable. We do try to park our stuff as close to the DJ or bandstand as possible to make it more risky for a potential thief to try anything. I do like the ideas of the Go-pro and the surveillance signs!

Art

Tim Bakland April 1st, 2013 07:29 PM

I say this only half-kiddingly:

are there not homing devices (such as the "Find My iPhone" app) that could be hidden in one's valuables?

If my phone happened to be in the gear bag, I could (conceivably) use my computer to track its whereabouts. I'm sure apple is not the only company to sport this perk.

Not that any of this would have dawned on me as I walked out to take shots with the photographer during cocktail hour.

Which is why I try to have the main bag of lenses/nicest camera with me always.

Kelly Huffaker April 1st, 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Schuchmann (Post 1787982)
Just had an idea - Place a Go-Pro on a light stand next to the DJ table and point it towards the spot where the gear is stored.

If anyone messes with your stuff, you have it on video and very likely of being able to identify the thief, especially when you inform the B&G of your loss of their footage.

Let's just hope that the thief doesn't decided to take that as well :)

Warren Kawamoto April 1st, 2013 08:50 PM

Home Depot has a small, round, window alarm by Doberman Securities called "ultra slim window alarm." Peel off the backing, then stick it on your case, bag, or whatever. Turn on the power. If someone picks it up or shakes it, a high pitch, 110db siren goes off until you turn off the power. Sells for about $8-10, weighs practically nothing. Hide the power switch so they can't find it and you're good to go! The alarm is SUPER loud and very annoying.

James Manford April 2nd, 2013 11:56 AM

My worst nightmare ... Carrying so many expensive items with the risk of it being stolen!

Chip Thome April 2nd, 2013 10:48 PM

When we were doing the bar band videos I had a Pelican 1600 in SCREAMING YELLOW for all my cameras. It was a great protection case, but I assumed the SCREAMING YELLOW would take someone with serious confidence to try and walk out with it. I also felt if it did walk away, people around might notice the color, and remember who was carrying it.

James Manford April 3rd, 2013 01:06 AM

Brilliant idea.

Peter Riding April 3rd, 2013 01:48 AM

I have a movement detector with very loud audio but I've never used it on a job because the risk of it going off as a false alarm is too great.

You can only do so much but I use a lot of these luggage padlocks:

There are other versions with slightly longer flexible wire loops. They will secure most zips adequately to stop the pure opportunist - obviously they have their limitations.

I also have a couple of these Pacsafe cables to loop around bags and secure to furniture. Again to stop the opportunist:

I also have one of these Pacsafe nets. But they are not quick to use:

Get locks with combinations rather than keys so you are not scrambling around trying to find the right key in the dark. Set all the combinations to the same number - you don't want to be searching around for bolt cutters at short notice :- )

Pete

Giroud Francois April 3rd, 2013 03:41 AM

no soft bag, use pelican style hard case , they usually have a hole to install a lock and you can attach them with a steel cable somewhere.

Peter Rush April 3rd, 2013 04:04 AM

This is constantly a worry for me - especially as a solo shooter as I often have to have my gear set up in one room while I'm filming in another - and at churches where I'm outside filming the post-ceremony celebrations and my gear is inside! A while ago I was filming at a cathedral that was open to the public (including the ceremony chapel) and there were lots of tourists around!

I have to set up my gear and then get on with filming what is happening around me - If I leave setting up my equipment to the last minute - a whole host of things could go wrong - and If I gather it up before leaving a venue such as a church, I could miss so much good footage! I've even had my gear set up in a church while I've gone to film at the bride's house - I simply have no option.

Thankfully in 5 years I've had nothing taken :)