DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Black Magic Pocket Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/515716-black-magic-pocket-camera.html)

Clive McLaughlin April 9th, 2013 01:43 PM

Black Magic Pocket Camera

Really interested to see the sample footage from this.

Noa Put April 9th, 2013 03:28 PM

Re: Black Magic Pocket Camera

There might be videographer teams doing high end bmc weddings but that camera doesn't have the ergonomics to do weddings, it's much worse then a dslr and it has a much harder workflow, especially in a business where you are doing 1 to 2 run and gun type weddings every week. There is one guy in that thread you linked to that wants to do weddings with it but after seeing some of his posted samples I can tell this is not a camera for everyone as I have seen better looking footage done with a dslr. Many think they will have instant filmlike footage by just pointing the camera and pressing the rec button but I have seen enough bmc footage that looked like crap to know it takes an experienced operator to get it right and I"m sure this pocket cam is no different.

Charles Newcomb April 9th, 2013 08:01 PM

I think if you carried that thing around in your pocket, you'd better wear really baggy pants with your shirt left out.

Josh Bass April 9th, 2013 08:49 PM

Hey guys. What would you say a decent set of zoom lenses would run for this thing? For instance many folks have the 24-105 and 70-200 for the 5d. Whatd be the equivalent for the bmpc, given the different sensor size?

Steve Burkett April 10th, 2013 02:13 AM

Owning a large selection of m43 lens I can see how this camera could be incorporated into my filming; not as my main camera, but in certain situations where extra DR was needed; a few beauty exterior shots. That said, I'm certainly not pre-ordering. Their 1st camera is far from perfect and for many people who ordered last April, they're still awaiting stock.

Daniel Latimer April 10th, 2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1789708)
There might be videographer teams doing high end bmc weddings but that camera doesn't have the ergonomics to do weddings, it's much worse then a dslr and it has a much harder workflow, especially in a business where you are doing 1 to 2 run and gun type weddings every week. There is one guy in that thread you linked to that wants to do weddings with it but after seeing some of his posted samples I can tell this is not a camera for everyone as I have seen better looking footage done with a dslr. Many think they will have instant filmlike footage by just pointing the camera and pressing the rec button but I have seen enough bmc footage that looked like crap to know it takes an experienced operator to get it right and I"m sure this pocket cam is no different.

I'm sure you can say the same thing about any camera. I've also seen great footage from the BMCC.

I think this could be a great tool to use during a wedding. Even if it's just for the prores. People are already rigging out their DSLRs to work for filming a wedding. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to outfit the BM Pocket Camera to work for a wedding, especially for those who are using the m4/3 mount already (GH2/3).

The biggest downside is the harder workflow and weather it's worth the extra effort.

Arthur Gannis April 12th, 2013 01:00 AM

When I ditched my huge JVC ENG cameras for the Sony VX1000, it was hard to believe the much smaller camera would be up to the task. I just added a shoulder bracket along with an up front grip with LANC to control rec.pause/zoom and was I happy. I am sure I will like the pocket BM especially with the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 (24-70) along with a LANC grip and a really good shoulder bracket. A loupe type magnifier for sunny outdoors and you have a formidable weapon.

Noa Put April 12th, 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer (Post 1789814)
I'm sure you can say the same thing about any camera. I've also seen great footage from the BMCC.

I know you can get great looking footage out of a bmc but all I was trying to say not everyone will succeed into doing that. I have seen footage that is jaw-dropping beautiful and I have seen footage that looks worse then what my 600 euro dslr can do, this means these camera's require a certain level of expertise to get the most of it but if you get it right, the sun shines :)

I"m sure you could cover a wedding with at least 2 operators manually controlling 2 bmc pocket cams on a tripod, slider or steadicam, audio you can always record separately. I am almost sure to get one by the end of the year, when I have seen enough user footage to know it will be a safe investment, plan on using it mainly for personal projects.

Steve Burkett April 12th, 2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1790161)
I am almost sure to get one by the end of the year, when I have seen enough user footage to know it will be a safe investment, plan on using it mainly for personal projects.

Assuming it's available by then. I know a few Videographers still awaiting last years model.

Andrew Giordano April 13th, 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1790154)
When I ditched my huge JVC ENG cameras for the Sony VX1000, it was hard to believe the much smaller camera would be up to the task. I just added a shoulder bracket along with an up front grip with LANC to control rec.pause/zoom and was I happy. I am sure I will like the pocket BM especially with the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 (24-70) along with a LANC grip and a really good shoulder bracket. A loupe type magnifier for sunny outdoors and you have a formidable weapon.

I noticed you put 24-70 in parenthesis, but to complicate matters worse, that wouldn't be accurate if you're speaking of the Black Magic Pocket. The BMP has a 3x crop, so if you wanted to denote what the full frame equivalent angle of view would be when the panasonic 12-35 is on the BMP, it would be (36-105).

Because of the BMP we won't be able to simply say "The Panasonic 35-100 is the 70-200 equivalent" without also adding ". . .when in front of a micro four thirds sensor." The BMP is m43 mount, but roughly a 1" sensor I believe.

Oh it's gonna get all sorts of confusing!

Andrew Giordano April 13th, 2013 06:41 PM

To add, what would be damn cool is the re-emergence if 16mm contemporary lenses. And Since BM cameras aren't designed for photographers, the new lenses would be specifically designed for motion picture and zero regard for stills. It would a be a streamlined set of lenses. The lenses would be even smaller than m43 lenses, which could possibly mean, dare I say, cheaper? Perhaps wishful thinking. Actually, all of what I just said is wishful thinking. The BMP, unfortunately is only one body, so it's doubtful any company could afford the R&D for it, or want to take that gamble on one body. Still...would be cool.

Bruce Watson April 14th, 2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1789743)
What'd be the equivalent for the bmpc, given the different sensor size?

S16 has a crop factor of 3 IIRC.

Arthur Gannis April 14th, 2013 08:18 AM

Crop factor of 3 is fine being thus allowing a boost in the tele side of things. The 12-35 panny at the tele end would be welcome for the long shots. Question: on the wide side of that ( 38mm equiv) , can a really good wide adapter like Century Optics be used to widen things up a bit, or perhaps obtain a fisheye effect as well. If full range zooming is possible with the adapter, all the better.

Arthur Gannis April 14th, 2013 08:35 AM

Just thinking, how would a B4 mount lens such as those used in ENG broadcast 2/3 inch cameras work out with the pocket sensor size.? most I've seen are in the 12 to 1 zooms with 1.8 apertures.

Bill Bruner April 14th, 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1789743)
Hey guys. What would you say a decent set of zoom lenses would run for this thing? For instance many folks have the 24-105 and 70-200 for the 5d. Whatd be the equivalent for the bmpc, given the different sensor size?

Since I am already a micro 4/3 shooter, I plan on pre-ordering the BPCC once I see some graded footage. I'll probably get the m.Zuiko 9-18 f/4-5.6 for it to complement theZuiko 11-22 f/2.8-3.5[/url] that's currently adapted to my GH3.

I am also looking at those adapted B4 ENG zooms. I would very much like to try one of these $500 9-126mm parfocal servo zooms on the BPCC.