New Steadicam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: New Steadicam

Tiffen brought out this model, not Garrett. Easy to confuse the two but they are distinct entities.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
My monopod has my camera with light, wireless receiver and shotgun.
That's a fair point. That amount of stuff on top I think will make it very difficult to fly... But I'm fairly sure this Solo is flyable with just a Rode VMP on top -- after all, a Merlin is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle
Funny how Garret Brown has gone with the Glidecam design. I own a Steadicam Merlin and its probably been the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Overpriced Steadicam that requires a degree in physics to balance.
Well, Merlin is definitely more flexible. Easier to fly above things (eg above people on the dance floor; over the side of banisters and railings to give sense of flying), and somewhat easier to carry when you're walking backwards in a crouched position preceding the couple through the farewell arch.

I guess "Glidecam vs Merlin" has been done to death though, so apologies for any repetition. (I don't hang around Steadicam forums; wouldn't know.)
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Adrian

The point with balance is actually making sure that your static and dymanic balance is done with the camera as it's going to be used ..you can't of course add a video light or mic to a rig and expect the centre of balance to remain the same. Just using a different weight battery can change the balance especially on the lighter rigs. I use a big brute with a full vest and dual spring arm BUT I don't go inside venues at all ..it's mainly just for the outdoor videoshoot then it's put away .... using a rig inside a crowded venue is a tough ask. My buddy Philip has one of the new GoPro stedicam rigs ..I will ask him how it's working out for him. Want some really cool overhead shots of the dance floor? Just bring a bunch of helium party balloons to the venue and hang your hero under them ...works a treat!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Trustee

I have mental images of my Hero 3 floating up to the ceiling, bouncing gently along, being carried by a sudden gust outside the reception venue, and then floating up, up into the night sky as I tearfully bid $400 bon voyage...

But I'm definitely going to try it anyway. Thanks Chris!
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Adrian

This guy used them for really high shots and used a fishing rod so he could retrieve his camera! It would be quite a nice shot if you were doing a big outdoor wedding!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques