New Steadicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Trustee

New Steadicam

News Shooter | NAB 2013: Steadicam Solo combination stabiliser/monopod and Steadicam Curve for GoPro

Just give me a price, and my wallet is open.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Steadicam

Ha, Dan Chungs's videos are so awkward at times!

But yea, this is fab! Would perhaps convince me to get a GoPro again! You could simply have it strapped to you, whilst doing filming outside church or on photoshoot, then just grab it and really quickly do some nice wide angle freehand stuff.

Aww man, why did I sell my GoPro??
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Just realising... were you talking about the monopod steadycam??
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I do like the look of the monopod/steadycam.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You need a strong arm to hold that thing for longer periods, just look at 00:40 when Garret lifts the steadicam up how his hand shakes because of the weight, he tries to make it look easy but you can bet it isn't, better use it in combination with a arm and vest.

Not sure what to think about that mini steadicam, it looks like a gadget but need to see some live action footage.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Just realising... were you talking about the monopod steadycam??
Yep! I think the thing is built for DSLR wedding shooters! So many situations where it could come in handy. Eg:

-- if you need to travel light, like on an aeroplane, that's one device instead of two.
-- during photoshoot. Get some static shots, then get the steadicam shots, all without switching out gear. If you're lazy, don't even bother bringing the slider.
-- Jewish wedding. Film the groom signing the contract in monopod mode, then switch to steadicam mode (assuming you can quickly balance the thing) and jump in front of the groom's procession as they walk up to the unveiling.

I've often resorted to very dodgy steadicam substitutes for shot variety when I can't be bothered switching gear or couldn't bring more gear in the first place. So to have the option always there to fly -- that's big news to me.
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Trustee

That monopod steadicam definitely has a purpose for use in weddings.

Imagine having to use a steadicam all day long without rest. Atleast with the monopod functionality you can rest your arms! and just do some still footage.

In my eyes, it's perfect.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Yep! I think the thing is built for DSLR wedding shooters! So many situations where it could come in handy. Eg:

-- if you need to travel light, like on an aeroplane, that's one device instead of two.
-- during photoshoot. Get some static shots, then get the steadicam shots, all without switching out gear. If you're lazy, don't even bother bringing the slider.
-- Jewish wedding. Film the groom signing the contract in monopod mode, then switch to steadicam mode (assuming you can quickly balance the thing) and jump in front of the groom's procession as they walk up to the unveiling.

I've often resorted to very dodgy steadicam substitutes for shot variety when I can't be bothered switching gear or couldn't bring more gear in the first place. So to have the option always there to fly -- that's big news to me.
The monopod steadicam idea isn't new to me. I've definatly seen it before, but not sure by whom. Maybe not a reputable brand, but it has been done before. I'm not a fan monopod use anyway.

I'd rather stay on tripod (and slider), and use a GoPro with Steadicam for spontanious handsfree clips.

GoPro and this steadicam would be like £400/500. Which is appropraite for footage that will make up only a small persent of final footage.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
The monopod steadicam idea isn't new to me. I've definatly seen it before, but not sure by whom. Maybe not a reputable brand, but it has been done before. .
The Varizoom Flowpod has been around for a good 8 years or so.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Trustee

Charles, thanks for mentioning that one. I've got a feeling I've heard of it before, but had long since forgotten it!

Anyone here have any experience with how well it functions?

Pricing: $399 for the Varizoom; $799 for the Steadicam.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Adrian

There was also a device called the "stedipod" which essentially is a monpod with extended feet and counterbalance weights on them and then about 1/3rd from the top you have a free rotating ring that allows the monopod to turn. I made my own a few years ago and it's quite an interesting concept!! With mine I used a chunky Benro monopod and latched a mic stand base undernearth and it worked pretty darn well.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
New Steadicam-stedipodmontage.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

There are some things I wouldn't mind buying a cheaper knock-off version of, but not Steadicam. Invest in a real one and you will see that the difference is really night and day. They are pricier but will save you A LOT of time and give you way better result.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Hope I am wrong but I'm not convinced on the steadicam \ monopod.

My monopod has my camera with light, wireless receiver and shotgun. We all know how precise balancing has to be. After you have been shooting normally you have been adjusting your light, LCD and tilt head for hours on end, when you come to want to do some steadicam shots is your rig still going to be exactly balanced as you when you calibrated before the shoot?

My glidecam just has a DSLR with lens and you only have to look at for the balance to be off when you come to use it.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Dan

A decent sled will keep it's balance and a hybrid monopod/steady pod has no gimbal so it can actually be way off balance and still work. Personally I wouldn't use one at all and I stick to a proper sled with a gimal vest and arm and it works. I guess the idea of a hybrid unit is that it DOES satbilize footage to a degree and can be used as a rest/monopod ..the varizoom is a good example here .. when you get tired you put it down on it's "shoe" and continue shooting which you cannot do with a vest/arm/sled rig!!

However if you want something that flies like it should then the rig must have a gimbal at least and IMHO also a dual arm and vest.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Major Player

Funny how Garret Brown has gone with the Glidecam design. I own a Steadicam Merlin and its probably been the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Overpriced Steadicam that requires a degree in physics to balance.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques