Sony VG30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony VG30

Hey everyone,
I shoot Quinceañeras with a C100 and am missing the slow-motion that I once had with the AF100. I'm keeping the C100 for the next 2 years and know I'll need a second angle for a couple of jobs. I'm considering adding a VG30 right now. It will not be used for wide shots at all but medium to closeups for 60P. Would it work ok? Would the average client notice the difference in quality that much? Am I better off with the GH3? Interested in those who are using the VG series or EA50 series. Thanks for your time.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony VG30

Hi Monday, I cant help you with the VG30 info but as someone who is considering changing his AF101 to a C100 I wondered if you thought it was a good move and worth the change?

Thanks
Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i believe that an FS100 will be a better choice for ur needs.

its not so expensive at the moment and very close to tha budget of EA50.

I currently have one and am very happy about it, i think its the best bargain today. the only thing i dont like so much about the sony is their ergonomic and that i have to use an adapter for the EF mount.

I believe that if the C100 had the 50/60p it could have been the best camera ever for weddings.

i want to buy one but the luck of the 50p is giving me sec thoughts.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Where I live the fs100 is almost twice the price of the ea50, is it that cheap where you are? Monday, I think you will be better of with a gh3 which should give you a better matching image which I"m sure you can tweak to match your c100 better. (You can't dial in picture profiles to match the vg30 with your c100) The GH3 should have a bit more resolution and less moire and aliasing.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
i believe that an FS100 will be a better choice for ur needs.

its not so expensive at the moment and very close to tha budget of EA50.

I currently have one and am very happy about it, i think its the best bargain today. the only thing i dont like so much about the sony is their ergonomic and that i have to use an adapter for the EF mount.

I believe that if the C100 had the 50/60p it could have been the best camera ever for weddings.

i want to buy one but the luck of the 50p is giving me sec thoughts.
Hi Anthony I only mentioned the EA50 as it's practically the same as the VG20/30 cam. I'm only willing to spend $1200 max on the cam if I do get it and have seen the vg30 body only for $1099 which I feel is a steal right now. I actually wouldn't mind buying a FS100 if it was $2,000 used but I can't find one that low. :/ it holds a decent value right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Where I live the fs100 is almost twice the price of the ea50, is it that cheap where you are? Monday, I think you will be better of with a gh3 which should give you a better matching image which I"m sure you can tweak to match your c100 better. (You can't dial in picture profiles to match the vg30 with your c100) The GH3 should have a bit more resolution and less moire and aliasing.
Thanks Noa, that was the conclusion I was coming up with but currently I use a Canon HFM301 as a limo cam to give to the kids to film their selves. I wouldn't feel comfortable to give them a GH3 but giving them a VG30 would be better I feel and I can use it for the 60P for specific shots during the studio session which I use in the highlights only. Now I'm back to square one :)
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Slattery View Post
Hi Monday, I cant help you with the VG30 info but as someone who is considering changing his AF101 to a C100 I wondered if you thought it was a good move and worth the change?

Thanks
Steve
Hey Steve I sent you a email with the copy & paste I sent others who have asked me that question. Hope it helps.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques