Large Tripod Case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Large Tripod Case?

Can anyone recommend a tripod bag/case that will accommodate my manfrotto with 501DV head plus a couple of light stands?

I don't want to spend the several hundreds on something like a KATA so something a little more affordable is what I'm looking for - just want to throw 3 or 4 stands in after a wedding and carry them all at once :)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Large Tripod Case?

I have the Manfrotto MB MBAG100PN Padded case, and I can fit a 504HD/535 Tripod combo as well as two thin Manfrotto stacker stands. The 501HDV kit you have might be a tad smaller, so I'd give it a try. Maybe put in the stands top side pointing down as the bag tapers a bit. I bet it would fit at least 3. They're pretty easy to find at camera shops, and cheap enough.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655985-REG/Manfrotto_MBAG100PN_MBAG100PN_Padded_Tripod_Bag.html
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

An indie I worked with a few years back used a hard-shell golf-bag case with wheels. I don't recall what model tripod (I know it was Manfrotto), but it was big enough that it easily held a Manfrotto 516 head and his heavy, shoulder-mounted Panasonic cam, as well as 2 ni-Cad batteries. I've heard others have done the same, and am considering it when I get a few spare $$ to spend and a more urgent need than I have right now.

The innards of the golf case may need some foam or straps to help hold things in place, but it seemed to work well for him. It held that rather large tripod, the 516 head, and a 3-wheeled dolly to move the cam around.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use an http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/412411-REG/Interfit_INT433_INT433_Two_Head_All_In_One.html. I carry in it a Manfrotto tripod w/503 head, Kessler Stealth Slider w/all terrain feet, Manfrotto 561BHDV monopod, Glidecam 4000HD, and sometimes a light stand and microphone stand. That's a good amount of gear which all fits in one durable bag for just $64. I use sheets to separate things from getting scratched. It's heavy, but manageable. Wheels would be nice, which it doesn't have. I've thought about buying a nicer $300 bag, but it gets the job done pretty well so I'm sticking with it for now.

For light stands I use an ALZO Light Kit Soft Case 46 in (http://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Light-Kit...ight+stand+bag). I put in it 4-6 light stands (including a 13 ft stand) and a couple Lowel pro lights with Impact dimmers.
Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I have various bags but I actually use tripod straps like this Op/Tech one:

OP/TECH Tripod Strap - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

It easily copes with a heavy tripod and 503 head.

For smaller lightstands these Op/Tech straps work well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An actual bag big enough to accommodate a tripod a head and two lightstands is going to be pretty big and unwieldy. Carrying them individually on shoulder straps is much easier and takes less space in the car - oh and less set up and break down time.

If you have a long distance to walk just strap them together with a luggage strap and put them on a folding trolley of the collapsible two wheel variety. You can even fasten them to the back of the trolley using double manfrotto superclamps leaving space on the front of the trolley for your bags.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Trustee

This one's on sale for $235 (reduced by $111).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/830005-REG/Cinevate_Inc_CWSC_42_Camera_Slider_Grip_Case.html
Has wheels. (Thank God for wheels.)

If you have good Tetris skills, it can fit as much as three tripods, a monopod, a microphone stand, and two small light stands. If you have crap Tetris skills (like me), then take away one tripod from that list and replace it with a 2ft slider and another mic stand.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I have various bags but I actually use tripod straps like this Op/Tech one:

OP/TECH Tripod Strap - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

It easily copes with a heavy tripod and 503 head.

For smaller lightstands these Op/Tech straps work well:

Op/Tech Pro Camera Strap with Pro Loop Connectors: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

An actual bag big enough to accommodate a tripod a head and two lightstands is going to be pretty big and unwieldy. Carrying them individually on shoulder straps is much easier and takes less space in the car - oh and less set up and break down time.

If you have a long distance to walk just strap them together with a luggage strap and put them on a folding trolley of the collapsible two wheel variety. You can even fasten them to the back of the trolley using double manfrotto superclamps leaving space on the front of the trolley for your bags.

Pete
Peter, love the look of those straps. I'm buying 2 of them now! :)
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed by the straps as well. Thanks for the tip, Peter. Was looking for something exactly like this on eBay, without much luck, and also searching suitcase stores in my area -- but have now found plenty of good options on B&H by typing in "tripod strap".

Function: to attach to a slider, so one can carry these unwieldy pieces of metal more easily during the photoshoot session.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Major Player

I actually use a hockey bag by Slazenger. I wanted something with shoulder straps. This fits three tripods, a slider and my flycam nano.

http://www.prosportuk.com/images/pro...y%20bags/6.jpg
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I ordered that exact hockey bag Clive but it wasn't long enough for my 701 manfrotto kit tripod so sent it back - I've tried straps but one tripod and 3 lights stands and well... it's a nightmare - they keep slipping off my shoulders as I'm trying to navigate doors etc

Still looking....
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Major Player

I've tried straps but one tripod and 3 lights stands and well... it's a nightmare - they keep slipping off my shoulders as I'm trying to navigate doors etc

Have you tried attaching the straps so that the heaviest part of the tripod - the head - is facing downwards. That can make them much more stable. With lightstands have both ends of the strap attached quite high up so that the stands naturally want to hang downwards.

You can attach them very securely to two wheel folding trolleys using double Manfrotto superclamps, but almost as secure is to simply have one superclamp attached to the trolleys top handle to act as a stopper then sling the straps over it and use a bungee or luggage strap to hold the feet steady against the trolley.

Works a treat :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques