Printing options onto DVDs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Printing options onto DVDs

I do all the design myself. Design the front and back DVD case insert together with the DVD label. Here's one

DVD Case Insert and Label Design | L.A. Color Online Blog

What I did for the case insert is to move the template to the top left corner of the page. Then use my printer Borderless Printing feature so I only need to trim the bottom and right edge on Letter size photo paper I bought at Costco.

For the DVD label, I design on Photoshop then copy and paste the artwork to Epson PrintCD to print from there.

You can download my templates here

DVD and BluRay Design Template | L.A. Color Online Blog
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I print the DVD/Blu-ray discs in a Canon iP4800. It's not super-fast but does print very high quality.

The cases we now use are from Loxley Colour & cost £24 including tax but are very luxurious & admired by all who see them. 9/10 opt for the soft padded image wrap but the etched leatherette are preferred by a few. https://www.loxleycolour.com/cddvdfolio.aspx
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I guess time for me to invest in a machine then

Nigel--do you happen to know of a vendor for the cases in the US?
thank you
Note Suwanchote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
I guess time for me to invest in a machine then

Nigel--do you happen to know of a vendor for the cases in the US?
thank you
Loxley will ship worldwide but it may be too expensive for you. You would save on the 20% sales tax though.
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Trustee

Found:

http://www.bayphoto.com/packaging-pr.../cd-dvd-cases/
$25 per case.

Several others I found won't show pricing unless you're a member, and they want you to be a photog. Maybe ask a photographer friend for help, if you want more options.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Major Player

I use an Epson Artisan 835 for printing onto my Water Shield DVDs. They look amazing.

I use Staples to print out my DVDs covers at about $0.50 a pop.

I used to print out the covers at home, but to get the glossy look was costing a lot of money in ink, and I found that the Staples regular laser printing actually looks very good.

I've had my Epson for about 18 months and it's starting to have problems feeding the A4 premade inserts through, so that's another reason I switched to having Staples do it.

On Jul 4, I do this event for a local church where they order 100 DVDs to give away of the celebration. Last year, I made all 100 (90 minutes long) in my computer one at a time, printing one at a time... but I had all the case inserts ready to go. LOL
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Do you guys do custom labels for a wedding, or a more generic 'our wedding day' label you can order from a company in bulk?
I do custom everything.

Each wedding is differnt and I make each one personalized.

The extra time and effort to do this is factored into pricing.

I briefly thought about using a standard theme for simplification, but just was not happy with that idea the more I thought about it.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Can anyone recommend a UK printer? The Epson 'Artisan' range seems to be for the US market and the Epson PX810FW that Peter recommends is unavailable - I guess it's been updated. Also seemingly unavailable now is the RIHAC ink system

http://www.rihac.co.uk/

I'd rather look at what's recommended on this forum than go by the manufacturers claims. I'm currently using a Canon iP4850 that's lasted all of 13 months before refusing to print any more discs!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #24
Trustee

Pete,

I settled on this unit: Ciss for Epson printer: Epson PX730WD | Dye Ink | City Ink Express

It seems physically identical to the Rihac CISS system. I use it on my Epson PX730WD, and have printed 100s of DVD covers and DVD faces, and a good few photos.

It's still a pain in the ass printing these things, loading discs 1 at a time for a run of 100, and the pain of feeding the sleeves through in small batches to avoid slipping/problems, and the pain of having to de-perforate all those sleeves and hope they fit an Amaray case (bizarrely, some do, some don't). But at least the cost of ink isn't killing me any more. Getting them duplicated professionally is beyond my budget - but I am considering getting the DVD sleeves mass produced and just doing the disc printing myself.

I suppose that's OK for a reasonable volume of identical DVDs, but for weddings you want a bit more customisation for smaller runs and can't go to a printing company.
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Cheers Mike - I'll look into that

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #26
Inner Circle

My HP disc printer suddenly died last week and a bit of research came up with a Canon Pixma IP7250 on a special offer from Argos at £48.99. I was very dubious about it being any good at that price, but was very pleased with the results. It's a recently introduced model, so compatible inks are only just coming on line, and the original Canon ones are as much as the printer. It's about the same speed as my old HP, the print quality is much higher, and at that price I am not complaining.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I was going to recommend the Canon iP4850 as that is what I have used for the last 18 months. I use the genuine Canon inks & get beautiful results. I only print discs with this printer but very low volumes sometimes just a couple for each wedding so the rather convoluted process printing one disc at a time doesn't bother me.
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Can anyone recommend a UK printer? The Epson 'Artisan' range seems to be for the US market and the Epson PX810FW that Peter recommends is unavailable - I guess it's been updated. Also seemingly unavailable now is the RIHAC ink system

Untitled Document

I'd rather look at what's recommended on this forum than go by the manufacturers claims. I'm currently using a Canon iP4850 that's lasted all of 13 months before refusing to print any more discs!

Pete
Pete, Rihac Australia works just fine. I have had refills direct from them. I don't think they need a UK distributor to be honest.

Their support is excellent. I have done a Skype with them using my Ipad so that I could point it at the relevant parts of my Epson Stylus Photo PX810FW and they could therefore answer my questions a lot easier. There is a time difference obviously - we talked about 7am UK time :- )

The Artisan range does a lot more than just print and I use mine a lot as a photocopier.

Yes the printer I use has been superseded by another model.

Remember that the Artisan inks are not pigment inks and therefore do not take kindly to strong direct sunlight. I use my Epson 4800 wide body printer for "proper" prints if I don't use a lab.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I was going to recommend the Canon iP4850 as that is what I have used for the last 18 months. I use the genuine Canon inks & get beautiful results. I only print discs with this printer but very low volumes sometimes just a couple for each wedding so the rather convoluted process printing one disc at a time doesn't bother me.
Hi Nigel - yes the quality of the iP4850 is very good - nice and crisp print but the fact that it's died after only 13 months has put me off getting another one - I also have only used it for printing discs at low volumes
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques