DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Featuring in your own shots (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516020-featuring-your-own-shots.html)

Clive McLaughlin April 23rd, 2013 03:58 AM

Featuring in your own shots

So, on occasion if I find myself moving during the ceremony temporarily into the FOV of one of my other cameras, i always wonder if I should omit that angle completely, or just let it go.

Just wondering if you guys try to avoid being in your own shots at all costs even if it turns out in post that you have effectively limited yourself to one camera angle for a period of time in the edit.

Sometimes if I'm only just in shot, I will try to crop it a little. But more often than not I just let it slide. The photographer is always in a fair few shots anyway, so why not me?

Noa Put April 23rd, 2013 04:15 AM

Re: Featuring in your own shots

The photog is in a lot of shots which is ok for me as I shoot docu style with some cinematic eye-candy inbetween to not make it too boring but I hate it when I show up. I try to avoid it at all times but if it happens I just leave it like that and call it production value. :D

Long Truong April 23rd, 2013 05:59 AM

I try to cut to a different angle or crop myself out too. But if my presence is very subtle and the shot is super important with no other option, then I might leave it until I can afford cutting again.

Chris Harding April 23rd, 2013 06:14 AM

I have a GoPro 8' up in the air and if I happen to move forward for a closer shot, yes I'm in the footage but in those cases I normally use the footage the camera in view has shot and I'm a firm believer in being behind the camera not in front of it. I have however had rare occasions where the main aisle camera and the Hero had me in their FOV and I didn't like the 3rd cam footage at all and then I have reluctantly allowed the footage to get thru but usually I stay well away!!

Chris

Peter Riding April 23rd, 2013 06:42 AM

I'm mindful of where I am during the actual shoot to help make life easier in the edit, and yes I do try to either exclude myself by changing clips or by cropping.

Having equipment and operators in shot is a huge no-no for me. Remember how good the last Royal Wedding coverage was - and not a sniff of a view of the methods of execution.

I'm always struck though by how the "rules" change for DJs and for live music. In these cases any amount of gear is in clear view and everyone takes it for granted.

Pete

Rob Cantwell April 23rd, 2013 05:59 PM

many times i have strayed into my own shots, both still and video - i just cut them out with a vengeance!! i'm not in any way photogenic i abhor being in a shot!! i do include other people taking shots - it's part of the day!
just not me thanks
;-)

Tim Bakland April 23rd, 2013 08:06 PM

MOST of the time, toasts go as I hope/as planned and all is fine.

Occasionally (and usually when the DJ supplies a stand (with a mic ON the stand) as opposed to a handheld to pass around, things get weird.

This past weekend, a father-of-the-bride left the DJs mic in the stand (the same mic/system I was tapped into with an external recorder) and proceeded to walk ALL around a large reception hall, facing every which way, speaking to every corner, etc., etc.

The only way I could ever have gotten really good sound would be to have a lav on him. (But that means putting several lavs on several speakers in advance, and not always possible).

So this is one of those (rare) cases where you just need thank yourself for having an ok mic on the camera and just bite the bullet and go with it. Actually sounds ok in this case (I tried to follow the father and keep his sound in my direction). The bride will, I'm sure, understand -- given how crazily he walked around and given that he never bothered to pick up the DJs mic, that it is what it is.

Nigel Barker April 24th, 2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Truong (Post 1792042)
I try to cut to a different angle or crop myself out too. But if my presence is very subtle and the shot is super important with no other option, then I might leave it until I can afford cutting again.

ditto. Also the same if a second shooter gets in shot. We are all dressed in black so pretty inconspicuous especially compared to some of the lurid outfits a few lady photographers wear.

Paul Mailath April 24th, 2013 07:52 AM

That's one of the reasons I now dress in black slacks & long sleeve black shirt, I can blend in a little better - it just bugs me to see myself.