Good lens for front of Church - 18-135mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good lens for front of Church - 18-135mm?

Hey everyone,

I've recently decided to finally switch and go all DSLR (atm I use one EX1 and one 550D).

I'm going to get either another 550, or a 650, but my main concern is what lens would be best to capture both close ups and wide (ish) shots during the ceremony. I don't wana be switching lenses during the service..

Would the Canon 18-135mm do the job OK?

Cheers,
James
James Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Good lens for front of Church - 18-135mm?

I would expect that the lens will be too slow, especially at the long end.

If you decide to try it, or any lens, remember you can order, test it, and return it if it doesn't work out. If you are currently using faster lenses with your DSLR, this zoom will probably be slower than you might expect.

I've used a similar lens and after one use I sold, it just didn't work out for me in low light.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I usually have a camera on tripod with a 70-200 f2.8 IS on centre aisle as my main camera and I would position it at a distance that will allow me to get a fairly wide shot at 70mm and tighter close-up at 200mm

As for the other cameras, I don't mind changing lenses during the ceremony as long as I know that my other cameras are rolling when I need to switch. I also don't mind hiring an assistant for 1-2h only for the ceremony to help me man a camera. It doesn't cost me way too much and makes my life so much easier.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Types of shots (tight, medium, wide), distance, and lighting will all matter.

On our crop factor DSLRs, our rear camera is usually at 200mm for a modest wide shot. From the side aisles, we find ourselves at about 135mm for nice tight and medium shots. Lighting can be an issue with these, because of ISO noise.

Last week, I shot with a full frame (mark 2) and found my 28-135mm, I had to be much closer than usual, and crouched in front of the 1st pew to get my shots. For us, any camera down front, we aren't usually going for wide shots.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses. When I said it would be needed for wide shots too, I guess I only really mean for the shot of the bride's entrance/walk down the isle..

I do have a 70-200, which I have at the back, but I like being able to get a reasonably close up shot of the brides face during the vows, from where i stand at the front/side. Is there a better/faster option than the 135mm out there?

If not, i think i will look into renting, just to see if it is good enough in low light..*

Thanks again
James Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No constant aperture zoom lens is better than 3X. Your 70-200mm is wasted at the back where all you need is a wide shot down the aisle it would be much better to operate it for for close-ups at the front.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques