Advice needed for 1st wedding with G25 (and 7D) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 25th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice needed for 1st wedding with G25 (and 7D)

I've read all the posts in the "shooting with handicams" thread many times but it's always good to get fresh advice.
The last couple of seasons I have been shooting weddings with a Canon 7D and a Rode Video Mic, working around their limitations. It worked as the video market here has always accepted 30-40min documentary style videos and each wedding is very similar with only 2 key moments of sound, the vows and the readings at the ceremony. But now I'd like to make my life easier when filming and also give myself more to play with when editing. So...to cut a long story short, i've just bought a Canon HF G25 (20 in ntscland I think). I set it up in manual last night and had a wee play around with it. I plan to use it as a static camera getting a wide shot of the ceremony, dance etc. My plan is to film details/cu with my 7D. I think I'll be using the G25 in manual exposure mode and adjusting the aperture, shutter speed and gain with the custom button and wheel.
So really I'm looking for more advice on using the handicam. Should I shoot everything with manual focus? Do you ever use autofocus? Any settings advice? How about settings to match the 7Ds colour etc? Sound? I wouldn't mind buying a small sound recorder to stick next to a speaker to record the ceremony sound at a better quality than the Rode. Which is a good cheap one (sub 100€)? I can't find any irivers. I have a wedding that I can experiment on a bit as the couple are really just expecting a very basic doc style video. so now is the time to try things out before things pick up in June. Thanks for any help.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice needed for 1st wedding with G25 (and 7D)

does anybody use auto focus/spot/face detect in certain scenes?
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For sound, buy a Zoom H1. It is amazing and inexpensive. Best purchase I've ever made, for the money.

If you're using the videocamera, you could leave focus in auto most the time if needed, so you can concentrate on getting your shots with the DSLR.

After all, the whole idea of the camera is to make your life easier! Set your white balance, shutter speed, and let it fly. Use manual focus as required only, that's my suggestion. Congrats on your purchase, great move!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Trustee

On the handycam, Turn down the sharpness and contrast in the custom settings presets. You can always add in the crispness later.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Cheers for the tips! I've just bought a zoom h1 today so I'll test it tonight. What's the best way to get good sound at the ceremony. Am I best letting the zoom record the sound coming fromvthe speakers? Or is it better to point it at the action? What level is a good general level to recoed at? I've read that it doesn't work in auto very well.
As far as the g25 is concerned, why do you suggest turning down the sharpness and contrast?
Thanks again!
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Trustee

The G25 is quite a bit sharper than your 7D, additionally, the camera adds sharpness to the picture. You'll ease the transitions between the cameras if you turn it down a bit on the handycam. I also think it makes the picture cleaner and generally more pleasing. I say contrast because the dynamic range on the G25 will likely not be as good as it is on the 7D, lowering the contrast will even out the light and dark a bit more so you don't have really deep blacks and blown whites. You'll definitely want to test out the settings next to the 7D beforehand, but this is the experience I've had with my Vixia. Definitely capable of great pictures though!
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Cheers for the tips! I've just bought a zoom h1 today so I'll test it tonight. What's the best way to get good sound at the ceremony. Am I best letting the zoom record the sound coming fromvthe speakers? Or is it better to point it at the action? What level is a good general level to recoed at? I've read that it doesn't work in auto very well.

Thanks again!
You will need to get the zoom in really close to get anything useable, pop it in the grooms jacket top pocket. Better still connect a lav mic to the zoom, and pin it on his lapel/tie. Set record level to about 85, even at that you will probably have to normalise in post, but it will be good sound
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks nate. i'll test both cameras tomorrow. what setting should i leave the 7D on to match? i usually have the sharpness right down and the contrast down quite a bit.
colin, it might be difficult to stick a mic on the groom. it's not really done here and explaining the benefits of good sound doesn't seem to get a reaction. so...if i can't do that what would be my best option with the zoom?
cheers!
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Major Player

All you can do is get the Zoom as close to the action as you can. It is designed to be used as close to the source as possible, the same goes for all mics. Best bet with the Zoom is to slip it in the grooms top pocket, nobody will know its there
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Major Player

i stuck the zoom h1 on a gorillapod rip off (2€!!!) on the table directly in front of the couple (1 metre) at around input level 40. i'm very happy with the results. it's incredibly simple to use.
using the canon g25 was an interesting experience. in some regards easy to use but at the same time very different from the 7D and my previous camera, a sony pd170. i've yet to really study the footage and i'm trying to workout how to convert the spanned clips to prores for final cut. i'm using pavtube. hopefully i'll have a better idea of how the g25 and I performed tomorrow
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques