GreenLight Music Licensing - Has anyone used this service? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
New Boot

GreenLight Music Licensing - Has anyone used this service?

A bride I'm working with has some very specific music she would like used in her wedding film. She pointed me to greenlightmusic.com. I've only used Song Freedom and The Music Bed, but GreenLight appears to have a much larger selection, albeit at a higher price. Has anyone here had success licensing a song through them? If so, could you please explain the process and your experience?
Dennis Duszynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GreenLight Music Licensing - Has anyone used this service?

From what I've seen, it looks like green light is geared for major motion pictures and television. Unless you have $2000-5000 budgeted per song(just to get the conversation started) I would tell them to pick from sources we have reasonable access. Hopefully in the future things will get better for us, but not until the mainstream music industry and their high priced lawyers come to their scenes.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Song Freedom has some 'proper' commercial songs that can be licensed for about $30. Not all tracks are suitable for a wedding video however e.g. Marvin Gaye's 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine".
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Having just looked at the Greenlight Web page, I would go back to her and confirm that she has the budget to pay for the song. If she is happy to pay $5000 for a song, go for it (after she has paid upfront).
But seriously, Greenlight appear to cater for large scale DVD production or film production and not weddings.
Try songfreedom..
John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques