Wedding Guest Messages with DSLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:08 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Wedding Guest Messages with DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I can't understand you guys having such a problem with seperate audio - I've been shooting with DSLR's for 3 years now and have at least 2 seperate audio recorders running as well as audio on the camera. I never had a problem syncing sound - sure it takes a little time but with Pluraleyes it's a doddle - start it going and make a cuppa and you're done.

I've shot interviews with the DSLR and I just start the Zoom and lock it - hand it to the guests and the 1st table and start the camera recording and don't stop till I finish the interviews - I have a long video file and a long audio file - match them up and you're good to go.

ohh - sorry I forgot you're most probably using a camera with a recording time limit - I use Panasonic GH2's (I had to get that in - ahhh feels good)

surely having a mike and camera connected via a cable at a wedding is a recepie for disaster, especially with a mix of guests and alcohol.

the only other option I'd consider is a plug on transmitter

Sennheiser SKP 100 G3 Plug-on Transmitter for Dynamic SKP100G3-B
Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't have a bad word said about Pluraleyes! It’s an amazing tool and I already use it to sync the ceremony and speeches with my zoom's. At the moment I'm trying to cut back on edit time even in the smallest ways. If I don't plan ahead then I have to wait around for the sync. My edit time is too long and I just want a nice clean workflow. Having said that I do have the Sennheiser SKP 100 so that's me sorted. It might be a heavy investment for James if he is only buying it for the guest messages.
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey all,

Few thoughts on this subject.

First, the H6N coming out for $400 looks promising.. with removable mic types on the front, plus 4 XLRs, recording to 6 audio channels.. to me it's on the list of things to get. I currently have a Tascam DR-40 and works great, except I bent the dang headphone jack (which all plugs were locking SDI like plugs!!). So I can still record but want the 6 channels anyway.

What about a BeachTek or similar 2XLR or 3XLR mixer/pre-amp/phantom powered? You use that, feed the output to the DSLR input and you can record two or so XLR mics for great audio right on the camea, don't need to sync or anything. It works well, although I still prefer the external recorders along with a sync track on the camera.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Have a look at JuicedLink. They make good quality mic preamp/mixers that allow XLR inputs to be used on cameras without them. I use a riggy with my GH3. I end up with better quality than my Sony HVR Z5 which uses compressed Dolby audio, whereas the GH3 is uncompressed. The preamps on the riggy are of better quality than your typical Zoom and Tascam recorders, and I get the assurance of headphone monitoring on the camera which I consider essential.

Cheers,

Mark
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Major Player

That was the other one..Juicelink. Couldn't remember the name of it. If you want near high-end quality, pairing a JuiceLink with an external recorder will give outstanding quality. Like the other guy said, the pre-amps are no doubt a bit better on a device that costs more than a recorder and basically provides pre-amps and mixing of channels and that's it. I am considering the Juicy with the H6N down the road, but will need 3 Juicy's for the 6 inputs on the H6n (probably just get 2 and use 4 inputs + mic on the H6N).
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

"The pre-amps are no doubt a bit better on a device that costs more than a recorder and basically provides pre-amps and mixing of channels and that's it. I am considering the Juicy with the H6N down the road, but will need 3 Juicy's for the 6 inputs on the H6n (probably just get 2 and use 4 inputs + mic on the H6N)."

There's nothing to gain by connecting the juicedlink into the Zoom. That would just be an unwieldy monster. It plugs directly into the DSLR, so you don't need a separate recorder or sync'ing up later. You do need a camera with a headphone output though to check what's going in.

To me the H6 looks way too big for a DSLR rig. You may as well have a full sized ENG camera. 6 inputs is pretty cool though!

I use an H2 and an H4 and sometimes also a tiny little old iRiver mp3 recorder with a lav mic. Sometimes I even manage to hit record on them all in my pre-wedding panic :)

Sorry to the OP for getting a bit off track.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark Whittle; May 30th, 2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Mark Whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:13 AM   #21
Inner Circle

There is no substitute for getting the microphone as close to the mouth of the speaker as possible. If you don't have a skilled boom operator the only other choice is a lav mic. Connect it to a wireless unit or any of the digital recorders & you are set.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:52 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I'm so glad Nigel said that. Everyone seems to want gizmos to make thin, distant and weak audio sound good. Get the mic in close, and forget all these worries about preamp noise, and sleep easier! You rarely see people who wish to shoot everything on the lens wide setting, then spend time trying to avoid the extra noise, and loss of definition when you have to crop the image in the edit and expand it to zoom in!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques