Wedding Guest Messages with DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Guest Messages with DSLR

Just wondering about how people go about this. In the past I have used my EX1 with rode ntg2. I stick the audio on auto and give the mic over to guests. As long as they speak right into the mic, it allows for taking messages in really loud environments (i.e. wedding receptions).

I have the rode videomic pro for my 5d, and was wondering if there is any attachment out there to make this a hand held 'voxpop' type mic? Or I was thinking maybe i could buy a boom pole and guests could just hold that?!

Thanks in advance! :)
James Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Wedding Guest Messages with DSLR

I'm currently in the process of switching completly to DSLR for filming weddings and this is one of my concerns. At the moment I'm using my sennheiser mic which connects via XLR to my Canon XH A1 and I was also hoping there would be an attachment which would allow me to plug this mic into my DSLR or a similar solution.

I've done a little research online and i'm not over joyed with the options I've found so far. This video suggest recording sound and video separately which means extra work in post (having to sync the video and audio)

How to Record sound when shooting video with a DSLR camera « Digital Cameras

This is time consuming. I already have 3 zoom recorders, which I use for the church. I'm trying to cut back on editing time not increase it!
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Agreed, I definitely want to avoid recording the audio separately (I also have 3 zooms!). If theres a cheapish handycam out there with which i could use the rode ntg, i'd rather buy that and use it purely for messages, rather than have to record audio separately with the 5d..
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know what your budget is, but the Tascam DR-60 is really nice. It allows you to use it as an external recorder or you can use the two xlr inputs and have it forward into your DSLR (or both). Really good quality too.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you checked out Plural Eyes 3? Awsome bit of software that allows you to throw any number of tracks at it (from your comment, all 3 zoom sound tracks, your video footage inc. sound footage) and it will prepare synchronise it all automatically.

I have recently moved to DSLR and having the 12 min cut off and using 3 cameras when filming live events and also stage mics, zooms, cd tracks etc etc I have shaved days off of my work process...

Well worth a look at and means you dont have to be concerned about having offline recording of sound?
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Vince... I'm already using Plural Eyes and it’s a fantastic aid. The problem is; it doesn't always automatically work and sync can take ages! It help the sync process if your audio clips are long and the thing with video messages is they can be really short so there is a good chance PluralEyes won't always work. Also you would have one long audio with several little video clips trying to align correctly ...messy!

I love PluralEyes its saved me so much time for speeches etc but I don't think its the best solution for video messages. Also I don't want to invest heavily into special audio equipment just for the guest messages simply because I might only have at most 3 weddings a year who want this little extra.

I was hoping for an adaptor that would allow me to plug in an xlr directly into my DSLR but maybe it doesn't exist...I haven't found anything yet???
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Major Player

When I need a wireless hand mic with my MK3 I use my RE50 and this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570248-REG/Sony_UTX_P1_4244_UTX_P1_Wireless_Plug_in_Transmitter.html which goes into a Sony wireless receiver, which mounts on the MK3s flash shoe. Awesome audio.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Conlon View Post
I was hoping for an adaptor that would allow me to plug in an xlr directly into my DSLR but maybe it doesn't exist...I haven't found anything yet???
I'm terrible with audio, but I believe (please feel free to correct me, anyone) that one of these would do the trick: Mini to XLR Cables| B&H Photo Video

About the source of the sound, there's lots of options, from handheld microphones (wired or unwired), to just getting the guests to hold a lavaliere microphone and talking into it (can mount receiver on hot shoe, as per Charles' suggestion).
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
I'm terrible with audio, but I believe (please feel free to correct me, anyone) that one of these would do the trick: Mini to XLR Cables| B&H Photo Video

About the source of the sound, there's lots of options, from handheld microphones (wired or unwired), to just getting the guests to hold a lavaliere microphone and talking into it (can mount receiver on hot shoe, as per Charles' suggestion).
That’s exactly the kind of plugin I was looking for....it looks like it should work. I've already spent a fair bit on a good mic so didn't want to have to discard my XLR mic. I had a good Google for something like this but found nothing. I would need a bit of a longer lead but I'm sure that will be easy to find.

Thanks that's my guest messages sorted with the DSLR!
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm pretty sure that the dSLRs don't supply phantom power to XLR mics so you would need to ensure that the mic in question does not need it e.g. the Rode NTG2 with an AA battery inserted. That mic is quite long so you have to ensure that it doesn't protrude into your compositions when its mounted on the camera's hotshoe but if you're using a rig you can probably get it to go further back. The mic is also very directional being a shotgun pickup pattern so is well suited for scenarios where you want to minimise sound from the surroundings. It is mono.

If you use something like a Zoom and with Plural Eyes it can be easier just to let the Zoom record for the whole time rather than start and stop it multiple times. Then sync in post and cut out the surplus. Run the actual dSLR video capture longer than the actual interview so that Plural Eyes has more to work with than would be the case with short clips.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

That method makes for much easier editing too..With my Sony EA-50 which of course already has a shotgun mic and phantom power I go around guests and compile a "video guestbook" and just let the camera run .... Guests will rarely wait for you to cue them so I normally ask them a question while I'm recording and that way at least the first few words are not chopped off ..quite often there is a mere 1/2 second between me finishing talking and them starting their message which would never be enough time to physically push record so keep on rolling works out nicely and naturally you cut out your own audio!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I'm pretty sure that the dSLRs don't supply phantom power to XLR mics so you would need to ensure that the mic in question does not need it e.g. the Rode NTG2 with an AA battery inserted. That mic is quite long so you have to ensure that it doesn't protrude into your compositions when its mounted on the camera's hotshoe but if you're using a rig you can probably get it to go further back. The mic is also very directional being a shotgun pickup pattern so is well suited for scenarios where you want to minimise sound from the surroundings. It is mono.

If you use something like a Zoom and with Plural Eyes it can be easier just to let the Zoom record for the whole time rather than start and stop it multiple times. Then sync in post and cut out the surplus. Run the actual dSLR video capture longer than the actual interview so that Plural Eyes has more to work with than would be the case with short clips.

Pete
So obvious but never though of the power supply! I did consider just letting the DSLR and audio roll on in order to have larger files that would sync better...but I would still prefer avoiding an extra sync...I actually though of another solution... I have this set Sennheiser Worldwide - ew 100-ENG G3 which should work really well

But I hate getting the receiver to read the transmitter it seems really fiddly... sometimes it work right off the bat but other times it can take ages! I don't know why I'm giving this so much though because I'm actually consider pulling the guest message completely. Its hard work on the day of a wedding it takes so much extra energy to get people to take part.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter, I had no idea that the NTG2 would work with the 5d! I tried before, but didn't realise it would need a battery

:)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:06 AM   #14
Trustee

I can't understand you guys having such a problem with seperate audio - I've been shooting with DSLR's for 3 years now and have at least 2 seperate audio recorders running as well as audio on the camera. I never had a problem syncing sound - sure it takes a little time but with Pluraleyes it's a doddle - start it going and make a cuppa and you're done.

I've shot interviews with the DSLR and I just start the Zoom and lock it - hand it to the guests and the 1st table and start the camera recording and don't stop till I finish the interviews - I have a long video file and a long audio file - match them up and you're good to go.

ohh - sorry I forgot you're most probably using a camera with a recording time limit - I use Panasonic GH2's (I had to get that in - ahhh feels good)

surely having a mike and camera connected via a cable at a wedding is a recepie for disaster, especially with a mix of guests and alcohol.

the only other option I'd consider is a plug on transmitter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618849-REG/Sennheiser_SKP_100_G3_B_SKP_100_G3_Plug_on.html
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:07 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bishop View Post
I have the rode videomic pro for my 5d, and was wondering if there is any attachment out there to make this a hand held 'voxpop' type mic?
Thanks in advance! :)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618849-REG/Sennheiser_SKP_100_G3_B_SKP_100_G3_Plug_on.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques