The future of wedding video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: The future of wedding video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Yep, that line in my agreement is something that always gets questions. Now I have a good example of why.
Just done a wedding this weekend an Indian one infact ... chaotic is an understatement. The brides brother (who hired me) told me if any one gets in the way, to basically demand that they move, to raise my voice if I have too !!!

What do you say to that when you've basically been given permission to do what ever it takes to get the shots!?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I read this post and immediately thought of this video!

Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
As long as people are materialistic, the need for videographers shall remain.

People want to show they've spent money on their wedding, and what better way to show this by having a guy turn up with a big camera.

But I do agree, smart phones and consumer cameras can provide top quality footage if they are handled by the right person.

But will that ever happen? which brother, sister, cousin, relative or any family or friend wants to attend the wedding to WORK ... when they can kick back and enjoy themselves and have a paid professional do the job. It doesn't make sense.

What I do know is the need to provide top quality work has increased more than before ... you can't get away providing poor footage especially if another enthusiastic party at the event manages to capture something better than the paid professional.
This is totally true. Couldn't agree more. Thanks. And whew, what a relief :)
Denis Potasnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Just done a wedding this weekend an Indian one infact ... chaotic is an understatement. The brides brother (who hired me) told me if any one gets in the way, to basically demand that they move, to raise my voice if I have too !!!

What do you say to that when you've basically been given permission to do what ever it takes to get the shots!?
In my experience Indian weddings have the most video friendly guests always happy to move or even call you over for good shots. The first Indian wedding that I filmed as second shooter to an Indian colleague of mine I was amazed when he had us line up three tripods in a row between the guests & the mandap where the ceremony is held. We got great shots but most guests had an obstructed view but nobody complained
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
In my experience Indian weddings have the most video friendly guests always happy to move or even call you over for good shots. The first Indian wedding that I filmed as second shooter to an Indian colleague of mine I was amazed when he had us line up three tripods in a row between the guests & the mandap where the ceremony is held. We got great shots but most guests had an obstructed view but nobody complained
I make it sound like ALL indian weddings are the same.

It was just this specific family ... the extended family anyway.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I'm not sure why people are worried about the threat to wedding videographers from guest filming, after all good quality still cameras have been around for 150 years and I don't see any shortage of wedding photographers :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi, I would like to add my comment to this, I am so busy with weddings, we work every weekend and I see more and more family friends doing the photos (not a professional) and we the videographers are in charge on the day, feels good, now I have done this for just under 10 years now. What I think we need to do is tell couples that there are no phone and video taping during the ceremony. (We do it at dance concerts) Gee it is 20mins, they should put there phones away., sit back and enjoy what's happening. Next, it's time to move to Hd USB drivers and social media, I have had people want the footage uploaded to the net so the family on the other side of the world can download it of watch it on Vimeo. Last we are now looking at live streaming , lets see the dslr boys try streaming a ceremony live, at least with a real professional camera that can be done., Real Wedding videographers are here to stay!!!!!'

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

Already happens over here. At our main Anglican Cathedral the priest announces that there is an official videographer and photographer during the services so guests can put away they cameras as pics/video by guests during the ceremony is forbidden.

It is a step in the right direction!! With one wedding (another Church) we had some wannbe guy with a tripod and Canon 5D actually pushing the photog and myself out of the way to get a prime position...that was until we joined forces and moved him on!!

Let the people who are being paid to do the job, do it ...all celebrants/ priests should actually announce that before the ceremony begins

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
What I think we need to do is tell couples that there are no phone and video taping during the ceremony. (We do it at dance concerts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
At our main Anglican Cathedral the priest announces that there is an official videographer and photographer during the services so guests can put away they cameras as pics/video by guests during the ceremony is forbidden.
Chris
Robert, I think the big difference between weddings and concerts is that with concerts you have a strong legal grounding to stand on. You can say "sorry, copyright does not allow it" (of course you can only say this if you yourself are properly licensed through APRA/AMCOS or whatever your regional performance rights licensing body is). Same goes when I get requests from couples to put videos up online - "sorry, I can't license the music for web use so it would be illegal."

With weddings, particularly those in public spaces, you really have no true authority. You can ask the couple to relay your request to guests, but you still have to rely on the guests to have the common courtesy to follow both your requests, and the brides requests.

Of course, as Chris points out, it's a different story in churches where a priest will often request no photos or video be taken. You'd have to be a pretty obnoxious guest to disobey a priest in his own church!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Major Player

So may me i have something like this read out. (Feel free to re word it)

Please at the request of the Bride and Groom can you not take photographs as the Bridal Party enter and also at the End as they are walking out. They have asked if you can keep the Isle Clear, leaving room for the professional Photographer and Videographer.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Huffaker View Post
I read this post and immediately thought of this video!

Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube
Ha, thanks I needed that laugh.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Major Player

I'm so happy I retired from wedding video!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques