The future of wedding video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The future of wedding video

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...56835985_n.jpg
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The future of wedding video

After seeing that AND the wedding I did today, I am convinced 110% my decision to retire from weddings as of this year was the smartest decision I've made in a long time.
Imagine going out and getting 2 cell phones just to be able to shoot a wedding. I want to get rid of my 1 cell phone! Ohhhh I sound like a grumpy old man, ;-0
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't leave me Don!
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
After seeing that AND the wedding I did today, I am convinced 110% my decision to retire from weddings as of this year was the smartest decision I've made in a long time.
Imagine going out and getting 2 cell phones just to be able to shoot a wedding. I want to get rid of my 1 cell phone! Ohhhh I sound like a grumpy old man, ;-0
As long as people are materialistic, the need for videographers shall remain.

People want to show they've spent money on their wedding, and what better way to show this by having a guy turn up with a big camera.

But I do agree, smart phones and consumer cameras can provide top quality footage if they are handled by the right person.

But will that ever happen? which brother, sister, cousin, relative or any family or friend wants to attend the wedding to WORK ... when they can kick back and enjoy themselves and have a paid professional do the job. It doesn't make sense.

What I do know is the need to provide top quality work has increased more than before ... you can't get away providing poor footage especially if another enthusiastic party at the event manages to capture something better than the paid professional.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Major Player

At least they aren't shooting vertical video!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

FYI, the picture is from a smartphone test, but I figured it was a matter of time before we see smartphones on tripods. Especially after the weddings I've had recently where people just have the need to stick their phones in front of my cameras. I'm still debating on how best to deal with it. It's very tacky.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Major Player

That's why I am getting that iPhone sized BM pocket camera, slap on the 12-35 Panny on it and blend in with them. Can't beat em'. join them. But the difference is when the couple see the quality on the large screen on blu ray, the full day capturing of events that no invited guest has time for, the pristine audio quality and the polished edited look. See if uncle harry do that !
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
That's why I am getting that iPhone sized BM pocket camera, slap on the 12-35 Panny on it and blend in with them. Can't beat em'. join them. But the difference is when the couple see the quality on the large screen on blu ray, the full day capturing of events that no invited guest has time for, the pristine audio quality and the polished edited look. See if uncle harry do that
LOL, summed it up nicely to be fair!
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Trustee

Having seen and edited video footage done by those not familiar with filming, I can't say I'm worried about the competition just yet. What they need isn't a phone, but a camcorder that gives them basic instructions like "Stop fiddling with the zoom button", "don't pan too fast" and "don't go for close-ups of people's noses".
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Having seen and edited video footage done by those not familiar with filming, I can't say I'm worried about the competition just yet. What they need isn't a phone, but a camcorder that gives them basic instructions like "Stop fiddling with the zoom button", "don't pan too fast" and "don't go for close-ups of people's noses".
Wait, I'm not supposed to fiddle with the zoom or shoot peoples noses? What am I going to shoot then? lol
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
But I do agree, smart phones and consumer cameras can provide top quality footage if they are handled by the right person. But will that ever happen?
It's been happening for some time now. Everyone sticks their smartphone into the aisle as the bride approaches, and everyone always crowds around the cake cutting to get their shot.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

This is classic
Attached Thumbnails
The future of wedding video-image1.jpg  
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
It's been happening for some time now. Everyone sticks their smartphone into the aisle as the bride approaches, and everyone always crowds around the cake cutting to get their shot.
Annoying to say the least ...

Thing is though, as long as you state in your contract its the clients responsibility if any shots get messed up due to interruption from guests or the enthusiastic uncles with their handycams, they can't really whinge about it later.
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Annoying to say the least ...

Thing is though, as long as you state in your contract its the clients responsibility if any shots get messed up due to interruption from guests or the enthusiastic uncles with their handycams, they can't really whinge about it later.
Yep, that line in my agreement is something that always gets questions. Now I have a good example of why.
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Trustee

It's funny because on the DJ side of things, there is always a very similar discussion, but regarding iPods: both from guests who want you to play their music over your sound system; OR bride's just using an iPod instead of a DJ. 15 years ago, for DJs, it was Napster and burned CDs...

It's exactly why it's important to have a clear unique selling proposition to get business in the first place, and in this case, quality will insulate you better than price because cheap competes against Uncle Bob. Plus it's always better to charge more and work less (... if you're worth it.).

At these weddings, we have to figure out how to dodge these folks (my recent experience was a mom filming the first dance with her iPad, standing about 3 feet away and in low light I can imagine how awesome that was).

We have good luck with our processional shots, so far, being low and centered. This Saturday I'll be trying a raised (8 feet) full frame 14 or 28mm lens from the side aisle going parallel with the bride (though if I don't like the tests, I may have it stationary and let her walk through and then have a follow camera behind her a ways).
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques