DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slider Head Recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516857-slider-head-recommendation.html)

Peter Rush May 29th, 2013 01:53 AM

Slider Head Recommendation

Hi All - not quite the correct forum but I know a lot of you use sliders so...

My Manfrotto 701HDV head doesn't really bear the weight of my Glidetrack HD slider/701HDV and Sony VG20. It won't lock off sufficiently and tilts when the camera gets to the end of the track unless I take up the weight with my spare hand. The tilt doesn't actually lock but you tighten the damping as far as it will go - still not enough!

Can someone suggest a beefier alternative that locks off nice and tight? Maybe the 501?

Pete

Mike Beckett May 29th, 2013 02:11 AM

Re: Slider Head Recommendation

Pete, my Vinten Vision Blue won't even hold my Glidetrack SD, and it's 100 times the head that my 701HDV was. Mounting it to a fluid head is asking for trouble (or at least, asking for wobbles).

The solution was to remove the head from the tripod and the mount the Glidetrack directly to the tripod screw. Or, preferably, get a Manfrotto half bowl adapter and mount the slider directly to a 75mm bowl set of tripod legs. It loses flexibility, but it's the best way I've found. And because of that, I never use the slider! Plus the fact that my current camera is way too heavy for slider use.

This has been mentioned a fair bit on the tripod/support forums, a search there will reveal the parts required.

Peter Rush May 29th, 2013 02:15 AM

Thought that might be the case Mike - Using a fluid head is great for unusual slides though, such as pointing the camera directly up and rotating - great for shots of church ceilings!

Long Truong May 29th, 2013 02:42 AM

Peter, you can apply those camera movements to the head that's mounted on the slider :)

Mike Beckett May 29th, 2013 02:49 AM

Pete, you're right. I had dreams of getting interesting angles like that - sliding up and towards something, or a slide that goes to the left and up, for example. I even had an idea that I could use it as a sort of crane, with the slider on the fluid head, and a smaller fluid head on the slider. Alas! It was not to be, physics was agains me.

Long's perfectly right, you can do tilts and pans on the fluid head on the slider, but it's not quite as "3d" as a vertical change as well.

Nigel Barker May 29th, 2013 04:06 AM

Use a ball head that is locked tight. There is also a nice Manfrotto ball head with a joystick trigger that a colleague uses that is really fast to adjust & operate Joystick - Heads - Photo | Manfrotto.

Taky Cheung May 29th, 2013 06:03 PM

This is the one I am using. Love it.. can almost tile the camera point up to ceiling.. and price is good

Amazon.com: Pro Heavy Duty Ball Head Quick Release Photo Ball Head Tripod Grip Action Ball Head for Gitzo Manfroto by Fancier 6664H: Camera & Photo

Eric Coughlin May 29th, 2013 11:21 PM

I mount my Kessler Stealth using either a Manfrotto 357 Pro Quick Release Adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554151-REG/Manfrotto_357_357_Pro_Quick_Release.html) or the 503 Head on Manfrotto 055XB Legs. I find the legs to be more stable when the additional 503 head is not on top, as in, when the camera gets to one end of the slider, it will tip the tripod sooner and easier with the 503 mounted. However, with the head mounted, I get more versatility. So it depends, but more often I find myself using just the 357 adapter. I haven't tried mounting the slider directly to the tripod; it seems like it would be more tedious spinning the entire slider around several times rather than spinning a head or adapter plate, but perhaps it is more stable without the adapter?

I'd like to possibly get the Manfrotto 755CX3 MagFiber Video Tripod Legs with Rapid Center Column which Joe Simon uses so then I can tilt the slider without the use of a head.

As for a head on the slider, I always have the 701 head on top. In fact, I've never mounted a camera directly to a slider before; I find without a head the basic left to right shots are too boring in most cases (unless you're doing a Wes Anderson wedding film).

Kevin Duffey May 30th, 2013 12:33 AM

Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but I bought a cheap $150 slider that doesn't slide well with my camera rig on it.. does fine with just the dslr though. But anyway, I bought two 0xxb manfrotto sticks and 501 heads. I mounted two extra plates on the ends of the slider, and slide it in to the two tripods. I then mount a 701 head on the slider bracket so that my camera slides in to it, as well as the 0xxb's when not using the slider. It gives me the stability I need, but obviously at the expense of more room needed and more time to set it up, not to mention more expense money wise for the extra tripod and such.

Al Gardner May 30th, 2013 11:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I love my slider but I would never buy another 36" slider. I would opt for the shortest one possible

A couple of ways I mount it.

Kevin Duffey May 30th, 2013 02:25 PM

Really? What is wrong with 36"? The shorter they are, the less movement you can get. I think different lengths would be idea if possible... especially if you can connect them as needed like larger dolly tracks are done. It would be great if there was a slider that had 1 foot lengths that you could connect together, not too much in price, stable enough for a decent amount of weight (no bowing as you slide the gear). Anyone know of anything like that?

Allan Black May 30th, 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Gardner (Post 1797997)
I love my slider but I would never buy another 36" slider. I would opt for the shortest one possible.

+1 .. and Phillip Bloom recommends no longer than 24" .. he says on the screen you really don't notice anything longer than that.

And it's easier to carry around, faster to set up, so you're likely to get more use out of it.

Cheers.

Nigel Barker May 31st, 2013 03:06 AM

A shorter slider is easier to lug around but a longer slider gets longer slides e.g. try sliding vertically from the floor to reveal the place settings & decorations on the table top with a 24" slider.

Kyle Root June 1st, 2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1797901)
This is the one I am using. Love it.. can almost tile the camera point up to ceiling.. and price is good

Amazon.com: Pro Heavy Duty Ball Head Quick Release Photo Ball Head Tripod Grip Action Ball Head for Gitzo Manfroto by Fancier 6664H: Camera & Photo

I can concur with the above recommendation. I just got that exact ball head 2 weeks ago for my new Konova slider.

I originally bought a 701 head, but it was too much effort to use on vertical slides. I looked at the Manfrotto series ball heads that had the same plate as the 501/701 series fluid heads, but they were about $150, and I wasn't willing to spend that on something I only use on rare occasions. I've now used the Fancier head 2x in 2 weeks and it works great.

I'm using it with my Nikon V1 for video mostly. It is sturdy enough to hold my NX5 too.