How many minutes can I record on 32GB (5D Mark 3) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1
New Boot

How many minutes can I record on 32GB (5D Mark 3)

I'm thinking to buy two Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB for a short wedding film (30 min) but not sure it it's enough
Joseph Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: How many minutes can I record on 32GB (5D Mark 3)

a 32GB card will film about 3 hours of footage.

However, when we make a 20-40 minute video, and if we're there for the reception, usually film more than that (100+ GB), but then we're using 2 or 3 cameras for the ceremony, interviews, speeches, and other special moments.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, check out this chart: Cinequipt -- Canon 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 7D, & 1D X Record Time Chart.

Seems to depend on recording mode (All-I or IPB) and on aspect ratio and frame rate. All-I gives you a much bigger file, but only slightly more quality. I suspect it also gives you more "mosquito noise" in the blacks, because that's what used to be said by the reviewers when it first came out (I haven't done any tests myself).

Generally, you want to be rolling at IPB 1080 24p or 25p. At these specs 32gb gives 128 minutes of footage allegedly, but you'll find that the card isn't used in it's entirety -- something like 29.7gb before you get the "full card" message. The rest of the space is thumbnail files and directory structure, etc.

I've personally found Robert is right when he says about three hours. Depends on your shooting style, but I think I am rolling for about half the time I'm at the wedding.

In terms of producing a 30-minute film... Too many variables to say exactly how many gigabytes you'd need. How many cameras are shooting at the same time? Are you going to incorporate the ceremony in its entirety? With 10-second highlight-style shots, how many of them are keepers? Do you incorporate interviews with guests? Are there lots of interesting events at the wedding, or is it pretty standard? Does the wedding go over one day or more? Etc. Very hard to predict.

Personally, I'd be reluctant about putting together a 30-minute "cinematic" highlights with one shooter working 14 hours; would want a minimum of two working 12-14 hours, and even then not entirely confident that it'd be a good 30 (maybe more like a good 20).

Looking back at some full-day weddings over the past month, shot on a mix of MkII and MkIII:
-- all-day shoot; three shooters in morning up to ceremony, then two for the rest of the day, with 3-4 cameras used during crucial times: 239gb of footage
-- all-day shoot; two shooters; 2-3 cameras during crucial bits: 193gb
-- two-day shoot with one shooter; 2-3 cameras during crucial bits: 196gb
-- all-day shoot with two shooters; 3-4 cameras during crucial bits: 213gb
-- all-day shoot with two shooters; 3-4 cameras during crucial bits: 249gb

So in terms of pure gigabytes, we went through at most eight 32gb cards, at least six 32gb cards. In terms of actual number of cards used, would be more than this, because we swapped out non-full cards before key events. If you're doing a same day edit or similar, presumably you'd need even more cards.

And then you also want to allow yourself plenty of backup cards just in case... In case a particular wedding (eg Hindu) goes for an extended period, in case you've got two weddings back-to-back in a weekend, in case any cards go missing or get borrowed or damaged, etc.

Edit: We definitely overshoot, by the way, and could be pickier about everything being perfect before we hit the record button.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The 5D2 has a file size limit of 4GB which equates to about 12 minutes as it records at about 40Mbps i.e. about 96 minutes maximum per 32GB card. The 5D3 records at about 30Mbps (IPB) & 90Mbps (All-I) so either records about 30% more per card i.e. 120+ minutes or less than half i.e. about 40 minted per 32 GB card.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Ok, check out this chart: Cinequipt -- Canon 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 7D, & 1D X Record Time Chart.

Seems to depend on recording mode (All-I or IPB) and on aspect ratio and frame rate. All-I gives you a much bigger file, but only slightly more quality. I suspect it also gives you more "mosquito noise" in the blacks, because that's what used to be said by the reviewers when it first came out (I haven't done any tests myself).

Generally, you want to be rolling at IPB 1080 24p or 25p. At these specs 32gb gives 128 minutes of footage allegedly, but you'll find that the card isn't used in it's entirety -- something like 29.7gb before you get the "full card" message. The rest of the space is thumbnail files and directory structure, etc.

I've personally found Robert is right when he says about three hours. Depends on your shooting style, but I think I am rolling for about half the time I'm at the wedding.

In terms of producing a 30-minute film... Too many variables to say exactly how many gigabytes you'd need. How many cameras are shooting at the same time? Are you going to incorporate the ceremony in its entirety? With 10-second highlight-style shots, how many of them are keepers? Do you incorporate interviews with guests? Are there lots of interesting events at the wedding, or is it pretty standard? Does the wedding go over one day or more? Etc. Very hard to predict.

Personally, I'd be reluctant about putting together a 30-minute "cinematic" highlights with one shooter working 14 hours; would want a minimum of two working 12-14 hours, and even then not entirely confident that it'd be a good 30 (maybe more like a good 20).

Looking back at some full-day weddings over the past month, shot on a mix of MkII and MkIII:
-- all-day shoot; three shooters in morning up to ceremony, then two for the rest of the day, with 3-4 cameras used during crucial times: 239gb of footage
-- all-day shoot; two shooters; 2-3 cameras during crucial bits: 193gb
-- two-day shoot with one shooter; 2-3 cameras during crucial bits: 196gb
-- all-day shoot with two shooters; 3-4 cameras during crucial bits: 213gb
-- all-day shoot with two shooters; 3-4 cameras during crucial bits: 249gb

So in terms of pure gigabytes, we went through at most eight 32gb cards, at least six 32gb cards. In terms of actual number of cards used, would be more than this, because we swapped out non-full cards before key events. If you're doing a same day edit or similar, presumably you'd need even more cards.

And then you also want to allow yourself plenty of backup cards just in case... In case a particular wedding (eg Hindu) goes for an extended period, in case you've got two weddings back-to-back in a weekend, in case any cards go missing or get borrowed or damaged, etc.

Edit: We definitely overshoot, by the way, and could be pickier about everything being perfect before we hit the record button.
They are going to have two ceremonies (Tea Ceremony at bride's house and at church). Bride only need highlights of their ceremonies and reception. I guess i'm gonna do interviews to make the video longer :-)
Joseph Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques