Idea for speech recording - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Idea for speech recording

Oh I also have a Giant Squid lav mic as backup. But after using the Pinmic, I seldom use it. The pinmc comes with a silver mesh cap too. I am experimenting ways to mic the bride too. Will report later.
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I have been using the PINMIC at weddings for the past two years. It is awesome. Nobody ever refuse to wear it. Like I said, the 3 pins are finer than those they use to pin flowers on chest. Those left holes on the brazen, PINMIC won't.
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I believe you it won't be an issue but try convincing the client :) They just see something with 3 pins and you telling them it will have to go right through their new and expensive vest. :)
Even on a rental you's have to pay for damages, while that won't be the case the client might fear it will be..
I think you are worrying about something will never happen. You don't have to convince the groom for anything. Just go do it. Then when you pin on their chest, it's close to their face usually people will look away. But I can tell you this, never once any groom complain about. Usually they were just wondering what that is and say how cool it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Idea for speech recording-pinmic.jpg   Idea for speech recording-pinmic-joey.jpg  

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I just put together in my blog on ways to capture great audio at weddings. Feel free to comment.
I have had good results as well with taping my yamaha c24 onto the mike handle, has saved me more then once from bad audio because there was no other way in getting it because the soundspeakers where mounted high up against the ceiling and the dj couldn't provide me a line.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Jones View Post
I have stayed away from the Sony 312 due to the mp3 only format. However, this thread is making me reconsider. The price is right for sure. The dimensions show it nice and small (1.5" x 4.5" x 0.84").

To those currently using this: are you getting satisfactory results using it without a lav? B&H doesn't show it comes with one. What are you using? Thanks!
Sony have two packages the 312 without a mic & the 312M that comes with the little stereo lav mic. It doesn't seem possible to buy the mic on its own. Don't forget that it's marketed as a Dictaphone so presumably many purchasers have no need for a lav mic.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Byron - As Nigel mentioned, the Sony 312 comes in 2 versions, so I bought the one with the Sony Lav, which is a stereo lav and I am very impressed with it. I also have a number of other lavs that also work fine with the recorder. The 312 has an onboard mic which is mono and although I have only used it once, it seems perfectly useable.

I was initially put off by the mp3 only, but as just about everyone uses mp3 for music listening, decided it couldn't be that bad. I have to say that at the highest setting 192kbs it is very sharp and clear and I really can't hear any difference to the higher settings on the Zoom H1. Because of the size, clarity, battery life and convenience of the Sony, the H1 tends to get used as a backup now. There is also the convenience of 2gb onboard memory with the Sony which is enough for several hours recording aswell as the micro sd card slot.

I have just ordered another two 312Ms so although at £38 each they are slightly more than I payed for the first one, I really don't think that anything comes near them for the price.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I am having trouble finding a US supplier with the "m" version.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Roger, I just noticed your location. I spent a semester in Cambridge as a part of an exchange program with my university. I loved it!! So beautiful there. I am jealous of the events you must get to film. I am planning on bringing my family back with me once my youngest can handle the flight.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #39
Major Player

I tend to just use onboard sound recording for speeches as the DJ's speakers at the reception always blast the toasts through the room loud enough. Maybe its time to start going the extra mile. Just sounds really difficult to mic both toasts, not sure if its worth it
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Hi Byron,
I just did a search for the 'M' version and can find them all over the world except the US, very strange! I wouldn't worry too much though as just about any lavaliers with a standard 3mm tip and double ring plug will work with it. I have a couple of really cheap ones that give very good results and an Audio Technica that is more expensive but gives great results. A simple adapter also allows me to plug in full size mics like the Shure SM 58, SM 57, Audio Technica ATM 21 and various others. I have also plugged my mixer line output into it for recording a live music show.

Cambridge is a fantastic city and a great source of work. I have filmed weddings at many of the university chapels over the years and am currently taking some 3d photographic shots of the city.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I have had good results as well with taping my yamaha c24 onto the mike handle, has saved me more then once from bad audio because there was no other way in getting it because the soundspeakers where mounted high up against the ceiling and the dj couldn't provide me a line.
Hey Noa, I've been following your lead on this since I first read you mention this idea months ago. Have purchased two and gaffer them to microphones when I have to (if I can avoid it, I don't -- I don't like seeing them in shot). But -- do you find that the Yamaha C24 is sometimes "temperamental"? Meaning -- it stops recording after a minute for no apparent reason? (And it's not because I've accidentally left it on standby; I've sat there and watched the device and seen this happen.)

This has happened to me a few times. If I reformat the micro SD, that seems to solve things every time (note: I always format all my cards before I start a wedding, so I'm skeptical it's a formatting issue that's causing this). The main consequence is that I can't record, press hold, and forget. I need to come back and check to make sure they're actually running.

Anyway, curious to know whether you or anyone else has had similar experiences.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #42
Inner Circle

I would replace the card, I have not yet had this issue (knock on wood) with my yamaha.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #43
Trustee

Possibly a card issue, you're right. But there was one wedding where it seemed to happen with both my Yamahas at the same time, so that would mean at least two cards! Ah well... Will just keep checking for the time being. When they work, they work beautifully, and last surprisingly long on just one battery.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #44
Inner Circle

My Sony ICD-PX312M just arrived. It's a little larger & more plasticky than the Yamaha C-24 but sounds OK. However there doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the recording level except delving into the menus & adjust the mic sensitivity (high, Medium or Low). Despite the fact that the lav mic is stereo the recording appears to be mono only.

I will have to see how it works "under fire" but the lack of recording level adjustment is a bit disappointing as with these little digital recorders the Auto recording level is usually disappointing & I have found with the Yamaha C-24s & Zooms that I have that it's preferable to record at a low level so it never gets over-driven & then boost volume in post.

It's still a very neat & cheap device.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Most lav mics are mono only. It duplicates the same content to left and right channels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques