Tripod for Good Ol'Fashioned Video Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 5th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod for Good Ol'Fashioned Video Camera

Hi all,
doing some research for a new tripod. We shoot with a pair HMC150s, so it has to be able to handle the weight of the camera, sometimes with a light and a mic pack on it. Nothing too heavy, but we have a couple now that I haven't been satisfied with (They are Manfrotto, but not sure of the model)...they just wobble a bit. I need something with a fairly wide and stable QR plate, and preferably something that has a corresponding monopod, as I like to use that during prep and on the dance floor when I am working with smaller spaces.

Oh, and preferably light weight...I'm open to anything for now, and will determine a price range later :-)

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tripod for Good Ol'Fashioned Video Camera

Hi Katie

I was busy typing and didn't really read your post correctly ... I have three Weifeng tripods and they are basically Bogen copies and 3 years old with no problems ...ball head so easy to adjust and the same arrangement as a Libec uses with multiple aluminium tubes on the legs AND adjustable spreaders ....They are cheap as chips at around $200 BUT as already not absorbing your post they ARE a little heavier than the ones with single tube legs but seriously I wouldn't use anything else!!

In the bag I suppose they are around 8-10lbs to carry ...Is that too heavy ...they do last a LONG time!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Tripod for Good Ol'Fashioned Video Camera

This discussion is probably better had in the Support your Camera forum.

There's a correlation between weight and stability as well as price. If your current tripod is a photographic one with a column that goes up and down, then moving to a proper video tripod with a claw ball will improve things.

This one used to be a favorite low priced one for those who couldn't afford a good one but it's not made anymore.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131444-REG/Libec_THM20_TH_M20_Aluminum_2_Stage_Tripod.html
Also, Manfrotto makes a quick release base and plate system that you can put a base unit on your tripod and another on your monopod so as to move between anybody's legs and pod.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques