DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Whatever happened to the first dance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517276-whatever-happened-first-dance.html)

Peter Rush June 18th, 2013 09:54 AM

Whatever happened to the first dance?

OK so the first dance was always a nice way of getting a romantic 'highlights of the day' chapter on my DVDs - as the couples invariably shuffle around for 4 minutes it's not much to watch (even from several angles) so I edit in some highlights and all my couples love it! I'm noticing more and more that DJs get guests up to join them halfway through and in the case of last weekend's wedding after about 30 seconds!

I'm going to have to start and have a word with the DJs in future!

Robert Benda June 18th, 2013 10:15 AM

Re: Whatever happened to the first dance?

When MC/DJ, I actually create short edits of songs for them to use for the 1st dance, and parent dances, if they want. Bring a 4 minute song down to 2-3. Soooo much better when they want it to be just the two of them when we're talking about B&G, Bride and dad; bride and step-dad, groom and mom, then wedding party.

Steve Bleasdale June 18th, 2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1800884)
OK so the first dance was always a nice way of getting a romantic 'highlights of the day' chapter on my DVDs - as the couples invariably shuffle around for 4 minutes it's not much to watch (even from several angles) so I edit in some highlights and all my couples love it! I'm noticing more and more that DJs get guests up to join them halfway through and in the case of last weekend's wedding after about 30 seconds!

I'm going to have to start and have a word with the DJs in future!

Peter i am sick to death of DJs doing this... Right in the middle of a glidecam shot he brings everyone on the dance floor when i told him last week, when i plan to a perfection, its as if no one likes it in England and they some how want to f..... things up for us...

Roger Gunkel June 18th, 2013 12:03 PM

A lot of couples feel very self conscious and uncomfortable during their first dance and often ask the DJ to get people up quickly to save their embarrassment. It doesn't actually bother me as I like to go with the flow and just capture what is happening. A lot of videographers see the dance as a chance to get romantic multi angled shots, and anybody else as getting in the way. I just see it as another important part of the day whichever way it pans out.

Roger

Steve Bleasdale June 18th, 2013 01:52 PM

Yes i suppose your right Roger, in the end i just bite my tongue and then get the best i can...

Chris Harding June 18th, 2013 07:00 PM

Over here we have much the same situation, and as Roger says, it's often the fact that the couple don't want to go out there alone in the first place. The sequence here is also much the same and you are lucky if you manage 30 seconds before others are invited onto the floor....Depending on bridal party size, one can still get tight shots of the couple even when the rest of the bridal party join in but once you get the guests you lose them!

We have to take things as they are presented to us and do the best we can!

Chris

Robert Benda June 18th, 2013 07:26 PM

While I work with couples who don't like being the center of attention, I think you guys will find, by far the most common reasoning is: they want to get things started. They want to include the guests as quickly as possible. It's why some couples don't do the dollar dance (too long!) or love when I offer to make their 1st dance song or father/bride song down from 4 minutes into just under 3.

Keep it moving and get to the fun & inclusive parts. So much so that part of my MC/DJ elevator pitch is that one of my main jobs is to keep things moving.

Art Varga June 19th, 2013 08:14 AM

What I've been doing is requesting photos from the B&G of their dating years - or preferably pics from their engagement photo session if they had one. So my edit will start with the a minute or so of the first dance then I'll fade to 30-45 seconds of a photo montage, then back to the dance to close. I like the effect and it kind of breaks up the monotony a little.

Art