Zoom H6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Zoom H6

Has everyone here already seen this?

Zoom’s New H6 Audio Recorder Will Make Any DSLR Filmmaker Salivate | Gizmodo Australia

What interests me is:
-- pretty compact.
-- interchangeable capsules make it flexible
-- long battery life. Allegedly runs for 20 hours on four AAs. The Tascam DR-100 that I currently use, in contrast, I think run for about 6 hours, at most, on one lithium and two AAs.
-- possible six channels, with six XLR inputs. For my sound setup, this could mean at ceremonies: two wireless microphones; one dynamic mic placed in front of soundspeaker, split into two channels, one a little high and one a little low; one dynamic mic placed in front of musicians, split into two channels. At reception: feed from DJ split into two channels; dynamic mic in front of speakers; two channels free -- maybe put a shotgun on it and point it towards the audience for ambient sound.

Last edited by Adrian Tan; June 19th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Zoom H6

That is a lot of eggs in one basket when used as you've described! Don't think I'd want to risk it for a gig such as a wedding especially as its so easy to sync multiple audio tracks now with Pluraleyes.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Great device. But I agree with Peter that it'd be wise to have more than one source in case of failure. I'd probably prefer having 1 or 2 used H4N's and a handful of small Sony recorders than relying on one device that controls everything. It just seems a bit risky.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the comments! All eggs in one basket is something I hadn't thought about...

Another consideration: I've actually had bad luck with H4Ns so far. (I think audio devices are allergic to me.) On at least two occasions, it took 15, 20 minutes to even turn on. Not sure why. Have never had this problem with Tascams.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Thanks for the comments! All eggs in one basket is something I hadn't thought about...

Another consideration: I've actually had bad luck with H4Ns so far. (I think audio devices are allergic to me.) On at least two occasions, it took 15, 20 minutes to even turn on. Not sure why. Have never had this problem with Tascams.
Ditto. I got rid of my H4N as I now have a collection of small cheaper digital recorders plus for XLRs my Tascam DR-100 is so much nicer to use (actual dials to adjust levels). The H4N also chews up batteries at an alarming rate whereas the Yamaha C24 will record all day on one AAA battery.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques