DSLR clips not visibile on mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

DSLR clips not visibile on mac?

Hi folks, i wonder if any of you can help.

I stepped in and filmed a wedding for another company last weekend.

I have th footage still on cards, and mirrored on two hard drives and and external drive. I gave the external drive to the guy and the folder shows as empty. He was a little concerned. But I've looked at the drive and the other drives. The clips are all def there and working.

Clips were taken on my Canon 550D.

Its just a codec issue surely? But I'd have though this guyw ould be savvy enough to figure that out. Then again, its not that the files won't play, its that they arnt apparantly there.

Is it a drive format problem?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: DSLR clips not visibile on mac?

Doesn't sound good.

If they were physically on the drive and didn't play it would definitely be a codec issue. I would of suggested using VLC Media Player, Windows media player & quicktime as well as dropping the clips in to the timeline on your chosen editing software to test it out.

But the fact you say it's invisible on the drive!?

If you right click > properties - does it show that the drive is full with data? have you enabled the viewing for hidden files?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Trustee

A quick google search bought up this extract ... don't know if this is relevant to you as i'm a PC user so not familiar with MAC.

"The 550D is a very nice camera but the way it records video (H.264) is not compatible with FCE. You will need to convert the video to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec with MPEG Streamclip in order to use it in FCE."
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm not convinced its a codec thing simply because the files dont show up as icons at all. Its just a blank folder. The same drive put back in my PC shows them all. I'm trying to get him to put them on a relative or friend's PC to see that they are all there and working. I need my drive back!
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Do I gather that the other guy has a Mac but you don't? How was the external drive formatted? If he can't see the files then it's not a CODEC issue. You need to tell us what version & what OS each of you have. Presumably it was a USB drive?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Nigel - I'll second your comment "How was the external drive formatted?"

How the drive is formatted could make a difference.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Yea he's mac (not sure what version) I'm on Windows 8, and its a USB drive. If he brings over a mac friendly drive will he be able to retrieve them off my PC?
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Trustee

Clive, ask him to bring over an empty drive and format it to FAT32 or exFAT on your PC (which should be compatible with both PC and Mac). Apparently, exFAT is not supported on older Macs, so FAT32 is more universal. There's a free Verbatim tool to format to FAT32.

Whether you can read his Mac formatted drive without doing anything to it -- you may need software like MacDrive. Depends how it's formatted.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques