Shoe mount for lav transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Shoe mount for lav transmitter

Can anyone provide a link for a shoe mount so I can attach a lavalier transmitter to the top of my video camera? I've been clipping it onto the side handle on tha Ac160 which is not great.
I've Googled all morning trying to find something to no avail.
Hope you can help.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shoe mount for lav transmitter

Hi Chris

Which receiver are you using?? My Azdens used to come with a shoe mount but I found it rather cumbersome on top of the camera even though the 160 does have 3 threads on the back of the handle. I liked my receivers on the right hand side towards the back so they were out of the way so mine were mounted with a simple rail system under my 130's and two strips of aluminium flatbar under the camera. What I ended up doing in the end (for two receivers and not enough hotshoe spots) was to use two strips of 1" square aluminium tube and just files a cutout in the tube so the receivers popped in.

This was actually all part of my should mount rig for the 130's and keeps the receivers out of the way.
If you want all the construction details of the rig, let me know

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Shoe mount for lav transmitter-righold2.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Major Player

HI Chris, speak of the devil...I was just using your great tip from last year regarding the invert fx in Vegas for backlit footage which I had to film yesterday at a wedding where the speakers were in front of huge church windows. I was prepared though from having read your posts the day before so kudos to you.
Right, the radio mic I use is the older Sennheiser EW 100 and I would somehow like to mount it on the top of the AC160. I have an unused V shape bracket with a single shoe mount that has one arm of the V twice as long as the other....you've probably seen them.
By the way, the wedding here in Kent was an all Sydney affair, loads of guests had flown over, altogether a great fun experience once the beer started to flow (no beer for me though till the end). The local guests didn't know what hit them, especially with the one point win in the rugby in Melbourne; that was all the excuse they needed. The groom was an ex-Wallaby.
Great shots, especially with the setting sun for some posed shots and the DVD cover.
Lots of hangovers in that camp this morning, I bet.
Yes, the rig plans would be a great idea though at present, I don't use a shoulder rig but that could change.
Thanks Chris, lots of bacon being saved here in the last 24 hours!!
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Chris, unless I'm misunderstanding you, you need the Sennheiser CA2 Flashmount Adapter:

Sennheiser CA2 Camera Hot Shoe Adaptor from Sound Exposure - The leading Pro Audio and Broadcast Superstore

I'm just looking at the packaging I got recently with one of these and on the front it does say "Evolution Wireless G2" so I guess it fits both the G3 and the G2 :- )

You are supposed to mount them vertically for best performance - see the 2nd half of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...erruption.html

A small ball and socket head would do that. These FLM cb18 ones from Speedgraphic and small and light but very strong:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/ball__...ad/4077_p.html

Fastened to the hot shoe with nuts like these Kaavie ones - if you haven't already got the means:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That should work fine ... I always mount my receivers vertically and have never had a drop out!

I just don't like the receiver sticking up on top of the camera handle/hotshoe ..it seems to get in the way always. On my EA-50's because the shoulder mount slides backwards and the top has two 1/4" inserts I made an aluminium bracket at the back of the cameras and one cam has two receiver mounts and the other has one ..also keeps the profile lower how I like it!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Peter and Chris, I'll get onto your suggestions, it looks like that will do the job for me.
Many thanks!
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The CA2 works fine on the older EW100. Kudos to Sennheiser for keeping it compatible all these years. I recently flipped the wire bracket so I could put the shoe mount at the top of the bodypack instead of the default bottom. Works like a charm. YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques