DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Signing the register - new ideas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517711-signing-register-new-ideas.html)

Peter Rush July 11th, 2013 03:49 AM

Signing the register - new ideas?

Bearing in mind we're (not in the UK anyway) allowed to film the couple actually signing the register, does anyone have any ideas to freshen up a really dull 'staged' part of the day?

I film a close up of the hands signing (but slightly from below as not to show they are not actually signing anything), a slow zoom out from the bouquet to reveal the couple (sometimes with the witnesses as well) and occasionally over the shoulder of the photog taking the snaps.

There is very little time here to try anything eleborate but any 'fresh slant' ideas would be more than welcome

Pete

John Knight July 11th, 2013 04:18 AM

Re: Signing the register - new ideas?

I get my assistant to wear a chicken costume, and stand behind the couple doing the chicken dance. I then film the whole signing ceremony in widescreen 3D whilst crash zooming in and out to liven it up. You need to use true 5.1 stereo sound or it loses the whole cinematic effect.

Steve Burkett July 11th, 2013 04:22 AM

Oh I'd love to do the chicken dance thing with some of the stuffy registrars we get - just to see the look on their faces. I know one groom played Monty Pythons Always Look on the Bright Side of Life during the signing as a surprise to the Bride - her face I am told was a picture.

Peter Riding July 11th, 2013 09:47 AM

I'm always shooting multicam anyway and I just leave at least two of the cams running and wide in the general direction. In the edit I generally start from when they actually sign and finish when the bride has signed. That way there is only about a minute of footage and its cut between the cams. If the witnesses can also be shot from a flattering angle I will also include that. The cams are unattended and I also always have the red recording lights disabled so most registrars don't even realise they are running.

I'm not a big lover of the ultra close-up - I'd rather capture the thing in its full environment - but occasionally I shoot stills cropped very close to the paperwork so that the signatures etc can be seen.

I never video the setup pretend signing. But what can work very well is again the unattended cams recording the guests shooting their own photos (of the pretend signing) especially if its kids doing it.

Used to do the chicken dance but its so common no-one even looks any more :- )

Pete

Adrian Tan July 11th, 2013 10:02 AM

Hi Peter, I don't know how you're using this part in your videos, but do you have to pretend it's real? For instance, could you show that it's posed? And do you need a big chunk of continuous footage, or can you get by with 10-second grabs?

I'm thinking of shots like pulling focus from photographer's camera to the couple as he takes a photo, matching reverse from behind the bridal party, close up of photographer's hand on lens, shots of the audience taking photos, and lots of close up details of the bridal party -- faces, hands, bouquet etc.

Mark Whittle July 12th, 2013 01:49 AM

During the signing I go handheld, get a bit of the groom signing, a bit of the bride then spend the rest of the time getting cutaways, especially parents. These become valuable in the edit. Then I relocate further back and in the aisle ready for the recessional.
Then the photog can get a good clean wide shot of the whole party without me in shot.

Allan Black July 12th, 2013 03:01 AM

When everyone has left the church to mill around outside before leaving for the reception, go back into the vestry and video their entry in the register.

Get church permission before the ceremony, and a bridesmaid to help set the register up with flowers around it.
Dissolving through the stained glass window fx etc will add to the scene, along with appropriate music.

The couple and their families will probably never ever see the register entry, except on your DVD.
Hopefully the bridegroom is not a doctor and his brides signature is legible too.

Cheers.