How do you deal with re-edits? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: How do you deal with re-edits?

Correct as usual Don. Yep If you keep saying yes, soon you will also be saying yes to the question "Did your business fail?"

Adrian? Are you kidding about what edits bride's want? They have zero edit skills and ability so they are not going to ask you anything technical or complain about anything technical. It will be something as simple as "My dad's in a wheel chair so please get some footage of him arriving in the taxi" I think if you DID find a bride you actually was a pro editor she would have already organised for someone in her industry to do the shoot and give her the raw footage.

My main reason for stopping re-edits was a bride who spent 3 straight days with me (8 hours at a time) with all her complaints written on 8 pages of paper. It even ranged to "my hair is out of place, cut that out" and "my husband is touching his nose, it looks like he is picking it...cut that out" .. That was many years ago though!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #32
Tourist

I skimmed the thread so forgive me if this has already been said...but am I the only one that screens everything on Youtube or Vimeo for my clients and receives approval before creating the DVD's? I thought that would be pretty standard practice but I suppose not! In my opinion, that's how we work with all other corporate clients, so why wouldn't weddings be the same?

I provide up to 2 rounds of revision on any edited portion. Once it's approved by the client from the Youtube screening, that's it! No more changes after I send the DVD's. I've never had a DVD come back. But I do make revisions all the time for clients.
Andrew Schear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Hi Andrew

I upload the ceremony on YouTube but they only get the link with their DVD's. Do you really upload ALL the edited video onto youtube?? So there could be easily 1 -2 hours of footage for them to approve??

I still think that if you give them a preview copy (a trailer is something totally different of course) you are inviting them to find fault with it. It also takes a lot of effort to have to render to MP4 for YT and then MPEG2 for the DVD's ...that's double work!!

Chris
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I love the fact that you would think a Bride hired you because she saw your talent and skills and loved your creativity.

Yet you don't believe she would trust you with the final edit. The bride has put her faith in you , but youlack the confidence to run with it.

That's kind of bi-polar.

None of my clients would allow me to post anything on youtube or any other site anyway.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post

None of my clients would allow me to post anything on youtube or any other site anyway.
why not? I think it is a great way to advertise your work.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I work with a lot of sensitive content. Pharmaceutical etc. Lots of confidentiality agreements.

It pays well but it sucks when you think of making a demo reel.
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
why not? I think it is a great way to advertise your work.
I always put the musical video (3-4 minutes) on YouTube, unless I have strict instructions from the couple not to.

stelios
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM   #38
Inner Circle

I have various segments of various weddings on YouTube so clients can see how I approach the preps, photoshoot and reception segments. However, like Stelios, each bride also has their ceremony uploaded and shortened to under 15 minutes and I embed that on a private page within my site for them so they can show overseas family and friends. If they don't want it made public then I simply make it unlisted. I have had one couple that wanted the video removed as hubby was an undercover policeman which is fair enough. Most couples are delighted to have a bit of their wedding that they can send a link to friends or embed into Facebook.

Even my samples on the site are still uploaded initially to YouTube and then I run Video Lightbox on my samples page which calls the video from YouTube and makes it look pretty.

It is a pretty good way to get exposure ..I used to host all my own clips on my host server but YouTube hosting is quicker and I started using them at the end of 2005 ...so far 84,000 brides have watched various clips so that must count for something!!

Chris
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Chris,
It sounds like your solution keeps your cients off of you tube and on your site. Is that correct?

The last thing I would want to do is send my client to you tube.
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

Even my samples on the site are still uploaded initially to YouTube and then I run Video Lightbox on my samples page which calls the video from YouTube and makes it look pretty.

Chris
Chris when you do this with YouTube does the client get commercials in the front of the video?
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Inner Circle

I've had clients in the past where I had to sign a NDA and give them the tapes (back then) AND the external HDD I used. Some clients have no sense of humor and you know what...I don't blame them. Some stuff just doesn't need to be on the interweb! :-)
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:46 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Al

I'm pretty careful about using Royalty free music so I don't see ads but I would suspect yes, if you video attracts ads on YouTube, it will still have those ads glued to it if you use other software to embed it.

I am pretty sure the only way to lose the ads is to not have commercial music there but using something like Video Lightbox does make the whole thing a lot more classier with really neat thumbnails and a video that pops into the centre when you click the thumbnails so you also don't get the confusion that a YT site shows. It's worth taking a look at!

Chris
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:37 PM   #43
Regular Crew

You tube will sometimes present the viewer with a bunch of your opposition's clips after playing yours, or some random unrelated clip, even on an embedded page. Who wants that?

I use Vimeo. You get no ads, you can control every aspect of the presentation of the embedded clip like what happens after the clip plays, you can have your own logo instead of the vimeo logo... if you have a dropbox account you can upload via dropbox... password protect and other features.

All the clips on my sample page are from vimeo: Weddings | Supernova Wedding Videos
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Al

I'm pretty careful about using Royalty free music so I don't see ads but I would suspect yes, if you video attracts ads on YouTube, it will still have those ads glued to it if you use other software to embed it.

I am pretty sure the only way to lose the ads is to not have commercial music there but using something like Video Lightbox does make the whole thing a lot more classier with really neat thumbnails and a video that pops into the centre when you click the thumbnails so you also don't get the confusion that a YT site shows. It's worth taking a look at!

Chris
I don't think it has anything to do with commercial music. I see ads on stuff that doesn't even have music.

And you always get led away from your work. I hate that. Love your Video Lightbox idea though.

On another note, does You Tube give you actual statistics? I know sometimes you think that x amount of people have watched your video and actually x amount of people have just clicked on your video.

I think Vimeo gives you how many actual plays you had....maybe. And with my need for client privacy Vimeo works really well for me.

Just wondering with Vimeo Pro being only $59 a year why wouldn't you use it? It's a much better showcase for your work.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:49 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Hi Al

I guess it's just a personal choice! I did use Vimeo briefly a few years back and potential brides were complaining about the video stopping to buffer the whole time. I just find that You Tube, even though it's not as "professional" just works better. With Video Light Box once the clip has ended the software does an inwards transition and the clip is gone so it goes nowhere else at all .. A client just clicks on the thumbnail and then video is expanded centre screen on your page with a customised style and size and auto plays. I liked it so I kept it as the YouTube custom player, which does the same thing, restricted the video size and style.

I agree than $59 is peanuts but I'd rather pay the money to Video Light Box instead....Wow Slider is also neat if you want to display stills ...I use that for the photo side.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques