DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Blu Ray printing. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517884-blu-ray-printing.html)

Chavalegi Amendi July 22nd, 2013 11:35 AM

Blu Ray printing.

Been scouring these forums for a while now looking for discussions on media printing solutions. I notice Blu Ray seems NOT to be too popular a medium of delivery around here and hence no discussion on printing solutions for it. I seem to be getting more than a few requests for Blu Ray delivery from brides so now I am inclined to find solutions. Anyone with experience printing on Blu Ray discs? What printer do you use? Are they the same ones used for printing DVDs? Which discs do you recommend?

Preciate any help.

Thanks.

Daniel Latimer July 22nd, 2013 11:46 AM

Re: Blu Ray printing.

Hi Chavelegi,

I think about half of my weddings go out Blu-Ray. I've found it is something people want from me.

I'm not at home so I don't remember the exact burner, but it was an external burner that I bought off of Amazon a couple years ago. It can burn DVDs and Blu-Rays.

I use Adobe Encore CS6 to create the menus. You can use the same menus for both Blu-Ray and DVD, so it's very easy to create. Especially if they want both DVD and Blu-Ray.

I use Blu-Ray disc that have a white top for printing and then print right onto the disc in my printer. I've had no real issues.

Amazon.com: Optical Quantum 25GB 4X Blu-ray Single-Layer Recordable Disc BD-R White Inkjet Printable - 50 discs Spindle: Electronics

Rickey Brillantes July 22nd, 2013 11:53 AM

I never do Bluray, but for some they recommend this Falcon Pro BD-R With Smart Guard White Inkjet Hub Printable 4X. Same quality with the Taiyo Yuden watershield on DVD.

For Printing I recommend using the Epson 730, thats what I use and it is very reliable, if possible when you buy it brand new don't use the Epson ink that comes with it, instead use this [Empty Refillable Ink Cartridge SET] for Epson Artisan 600 700 710 725 730 800 810 835 837. This are refillable inks that saves you money on the long run, when empty just pop out the cartridge, fill with ink and snap it back. Just Google the 730, I think they're still selling this for $99.

Chad Whelan July 22nd, 2013 12:32 PM

Epson 810 here, its an all in one I have had for probably 2 years. I have always used epsons to print to disc, they generally work great and are good for a few years before they need to be replaced. I use white inkjet printable verbatims. It still amazes me how many wedding video producers do not deliver on blu-ray. This day in age it should be a given not an option. Anyway, if you get an ink jet printer simply look for ink jet printable blu-rays. There is no difference than printing dvds.

D.J. Ammons July 22nd, 2013 01:15 PM

We buy printable Blu-ray media the same as we do regular DVD media and just use an HP inkjet printer that has the capability of printing directly to discs.

Having said that buying Blu-ray media is a roll of dice. Every once in a while I get in a brand that does not work well with my burner. For that reason I usually only buy a 25 pk at a time so I don't have too much of an investment in the media if it doesn't work.

The last time I purchased printable Blu-ray media was a few months ago and paid about $1.00 per disk for a 25 pk. That is the same as I paid one year ago. Used to be about five bucks per disc!

Taky Cheung July 22nd, 2013 08:04 PM

I do DVD and BluRay printing on my own with am Epson artisan printer and continuous ink system.
InkXPro CISS for Epson Artisan 730 Printer | L.A. Color Pros Blog

I put together template you can download here
BluRay Case Insert Template for Download | L.A. Color Pros Blog

I print insert using Costco photopaper. moved the design to top left. so with the printer borderless printing, I just need to trim the bottom and the right side.

for blank disk, I use falcon watershield bluray
Falcon Media Pro BD-R 4X Glossy Inkjet Water Resistant Hub Printable (25-Pack) | L.A. Color Pros)

Kyle Root July 23rd, 2013 11:03 AM

I use JVC/TY Watershield Blu Ray's as mentioned above that I usually buy from Neato.com

I print directly onto them using an Epson Artisan 835 printer.

I have started having my full color DVD covers/wrappers/inserts (whatever you want to call them) printed at Staples (like Office Depot) because my printer (2+ years old) has started misfeeding my Epson glossy sheets, and the quality I'm getting at $0.49/each from Staples is very good.

Chavalegi Amendi July 24th, 2013 09:12 AM

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. Glad to know there are options out there.

Chava.

Tim Bakland July 26th, 2013 01:55 PM

Every time blu-ray comes up for weddings, I chime in but seem to be in the minority. I get LOTS of requests for blu-ray and (automatically) include at least one no matter what in the final order.

I print directly to discs with Epson, too. (810)