newbie wedding highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 27th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

newbie wedding highlight

Hello to all, I want to share this clip for suggestions on the points of improvements... Please be gentle on me :) (I know there will be a lot since i'm really new on this)

Please tell me if this works, newbie as well in uploading a video on the net. Thanks to all.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=USGI2BIO
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Major Player

The download worked fine.

It's very good Lenardo. Obviously you "get it."

Some of the shot selections you chose were of shaky camera work (not sure if that was intentional) and if I had edited it, perhaps I would have strategically not used some of those shoots... but regardless, I think your customer will be happy.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Craig, the shaky shots were not intentional actually, I really have to do something about it. I think more practice in handheld shooting, all I have there was a monopod so more practice in using the monopod I guess and slow motion to lessen the shake huh ? :)
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

You're new at this??? It was great!

First of all, I really liked your choice of music. Then when it got more powerful and you responded with the fast cuts....WOW. Beautiful camera work, as well. Near the end I almost felt like I was intruding at bit (lol) but your closeup in the darkness was gorgeous.

Leonardo, for my taste and the general/overall effect it had on me, I think this is the best highlight video I've seen to-date. Thank you for sharing it.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Lorinda for your kind words. :) yup this is actually the first time I shoot a wedding with my own cam. I'm flattered with the words you've said. Thanks again for your time.
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice work.

It's worth the wait for the download to take a look at this.

The edit was really well planned and carried a nice pace. I was really into it for the first minute and a half.

Once it got to the ceremony I thought that things got rough because it didn't look like you had much to work with from the ceremony. You need to improve your ceremony coverage to ensure that you gain more of the shots that you need next time. Same for the reception work, it seemed shaky and rough and didn't match the incredible shots that you had at the start of the day. Remember to pace yourself at the wedding and don't let your guard down as the day goes on. You really took your time at the beginning and probably should have done so at other points, but I understand that you can get caught up in the day once things get rolling.

The kissing shot at the end really was incredible and the edit finished up right on. The overexposed tight shots of her face are amazing.

I didn't care for the double take of the couples first kiss, it was a jump cut that just didn't seem to work. And have you thought about using more than one song? It fit the beginning so great but the ceremony and reception also? Blending music is like blending your video and takes time, but the results will increase your ability to bring people into your work and take them through different moods to match the occasion.

Also, where was the groom? The song sings about his feelings that he's going through and we never see the detailed tight shots of him that would have really made the word come alive like they did for the bride. Maybe you didn't have a chance before the ceremony to work with him, but it should have been on your shot list to get those kind of shots at some point to match what you were doing with the bride.

Overall this was a great recap. Very well done.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Other than the shaky camera mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed this clip, the music selection and fast cuts to the pace of the music made it flow nicely. It may have cut a bit too fast during the ceremony, and personally I didn't like that superimpostion shot at around 2:28 but that's just me. Great Depth of Field shots! Were they done in camera or in your NLE?
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you Ben, that was really nice and I agree with you, during the prep I have ample of time that's why I've got a lot of clip to choose from, but in the ceremony, it really happened fast so I'm really caught with very limited "good" shots. any suggestion on what are missing in the ceremony so I can put on shot list?

About the music, well I'll try to mix something like vow maybe or even slow paced songs ...

And the groom..yes. didn't really have time to get some shots from him since they are far apart. Thanks again Ben for viewing the clip and waiting for the long download time. :)
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Schmidt
Other than the shaky camera mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed this clip, the music selection and fast cuts to the pace of the music made it flow nicely. It may have cut a bit too fast during the ceremony, and personally I didn't like that superimpostion shot at around 2:28 but that's just me. Great Depth of Field shots! Were they done in camera or in your NLE?
Thanks Nate, yeah I thought that superimposed clip from the second cam will look great but didn't look the way I planned :) I'll try to improve on that.

The depth of field was done on manual focus with the cam. Didn't know that it can be done in NLE. :) Thanks Nate
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as in camera, never really tried it myself though.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...al+depth+field
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Nice Black and Whites

I really liked the Black and White shots- They were exposed just the way I prefer. There is something mystical about that olive skin in Black and White. Although the shots did transition quickly the overall appeal of the clip was great sonsidering this was your first wedding. My first wedding my camera shook like crazy- Now I am conscious of it at all times and every time I shoot I improve. CHeer up you have a bright future ahead.

PS I liked your logo at the end how did you get the animation with the lights?
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Leonardo.......GREAT JOB!!

I just hope my first wedding video that I am in the process of editing now turns as good as yours. What was that song you used??
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

> Dan, thanks i will have to work on the transistion, maybe slow them down and make the duration of the clip longer.

Hey thanks, the logo's static was done with photoshop with other styles and the animation with after effects, got this idea from Ram Purad. You can find posts by Ram Purad.

> Joven, thanks, I think with the time and patience your putting into your editing, yours will be better than I have. I have to do this within 3 days I think i spent 12-16 hours (for me this is long, since still new on how to compose) including the preliminary authoring of the dvd. Choosing of song really takes sometime. by the way the title of the song is out of my league.

thanks for viewing this guys, any other suggestion, on how to improve this? didn't use any effects...

Glen do you have some other suggestions on how it will better as your clips? thanks
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My gosh you did a very incredible job with the music and the cut aways that flow with the music so well. You're a newbie? Get out of here =P I really like the overexposed shot of the bride at the end. One suggestion, if you soften the clip just a bit it would make it look even more elegant. What are you using for your post production work?

P.S. I wanted to ask you what software did you use to get the light through effect on your name at the very end. I've been looking for a way to do that tp spice up my intro for the B&G's names. Can you help? Thanks!
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hello Mike, thanks for the compliments, yeah newbie here, this is actually my very first wedding shoot. Just to give credit to Jason Magbanua, got some of his styles, and hopefully I can get at least par with his works, THANKS JASON! :)

with the title at the end, trapcode effects for after effects are used, thanks to Ram Purad...

thanks for viewing the clip and giving time to post your comments..thanks again.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques