Should I shoot NTSC or PAL? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Should I shoot NTSC or PAL?

Hi everyone, I'm shooting a wedding in 12 hours for a couple here in the UK who are moving to Canada in two weeks. They are buying a new DVD player and TV when they get there so naturally I should switch my cameras to NTSC and be done with it....
However, they have family here in PAL country that will be getting some of the DVDs so what is the best method here?
The Bluray is ok either way, I believe, no issues?
One more thing...my third camera only shoots PAL so that throws a spanner into the mix.
If anyone can suggest the best way of doing this job, jump in now as time is short.
Any suggestions very much appreciated!
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Should I shoot NTSC or PAL?

My understanding is that PAL equipment can play NTSC pretty much as standard but only some NTSC equipment can handle PAL - as you know and hence your question.

My practice is always to shoot in PAL but I also always supply an MP4 file at 1920x1080 which they can of course play on just about any tablet, phone, computer etc (all be it maybe using the device's software to downsample the file such as using itunes for earlier ipads). They can always stream this to their TV should they wish and benefit from its high res at the same time.

I have a similar scenario at the end of this month and not for the first time. Some clients regularly move countries and there is no knowing what equipment they might have in the future.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't know what to do; tough situation. But I think the fact that your third camera can only shoot PAL pretty much seals the deal. Do it all in PAL; export only in PAL. Couple can surely buy a DVD player/TV that reads both PAL and NTSC.

On the other hand, if you really want to produce two versions, probably easier to convert from NTSC to PAL than vice versa.

What did you end up doing?

Last edited by Adrian Tan; August 12th, 2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Idiotic suggestion removed
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #4
Major Player

I did shoot in PAL simply because one of the cameras was pal only. I figured that I could edit as normal but render with an NTSC setting. I don't know if it's that easy, this wedding was only booked the day before so no time to do much homework on the tech aspects.
They do have a bluray player so that should be ok.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I would just go with Blu-ray plus a PAL DVD & HD MP4 files on another disc. Even were you to create an NTSC DVD unless you have an NTSC DVD player & NTSC TV you will have no way of properly testing that it works.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Nigel, the clients are moving to Canada in two weeks and buying a new TV and dvd player as well as a bluray player. I know they specifically wanted a dvd rather than mp4 files.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

I edit with Adobe CC and shoot almost everything in PAL, even though I live and work in the US, shoot PAL output NTSC and it works out great. PAL is a much better standard than NTSC in my opinion.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
I edit with Adobe CC and shoot almost everything in PAL, even though I live and work in the US, shoot PAL output NTSC and it works out great. PAL is a much better standard than NTSC in my opinion.
That's interesting to know but don't you get problems with flickering lights because of the 60Hz mains electricity frequency when shooting at 25p or 50i?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

After editing on Mac, I export the final movie (NTSC) as 720p or 1080p using H.264 codec. Then, I import it to iDVD (NTSC by default) and burn a DVD to play in NTSC country (iDVD encodes it as MPEG-2 for DVD standard). Then, I go to project info menu and switch the project from NTSC to PAL. iDVD re-encodes the project to PAL and I burn another DVD to play in PAL country. Both DVDs play well in their respective player. The image quality is surprisingly well preserved in both.

I also import the original H.264 movie into Roxio Toast and burn a HD Blu-Ray disk. So, with one movie edit I am able to create PAL and NTSC DVDs and HD BDs.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hey Chris

In Sony Vegas I often render out the PAL timeline to NTSC for USA families and have never had an issue with the disks playing on the other side of the pond. However all the shooting is in PAL

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi there Chris....do you render the PAL timeline to 29 or 24 fps like some are suggesting here and is there any issues with audio sync by doing the encode to NTSC?
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

No issues at all by rendering our to 29fps at all ... Vegas does add frames I have been told but I certainly have not heard any audio speed up at all. I would suspect that Vegas is complex enough to adjust the audio so it doesn't run fast or gets out of sync.

I have never had a complaint from USA clients ever!! Why not take a short segment (say 1 minute) and render to PAL and NTSC and listen to both and see if you can hear any difference?? Technically there might be, I have no idea but if there is I doubt whether the average viewer would even hear it.

It might be an interesting test ??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques