How much do you use your glidecam? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:57 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: How much do you use your glidecam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
Unfortunately, I never use it at weddings because I'm a solo shooter and time is at a premium.
I am a solo shooter as well, the blackbird steadicam has a resting stand, if you are done flying you just flip open that stand and place the Blackbird on the floor or on a table, the biggest advantage is you can place it down where-ever you want, it's a very simple but unique feature.

I only use the steadicam starting from the reception at the venue, the first part of the day is much travel, going in and out of locations and I already have enough to carry with me, that's why I don't use a slider either before the reception at the venue as I like to travel light.

Once at the reception the blackbird has not slowed me down, it just sits there where I last left it which is usually nearby waiting to be used, when I"m shooting on a tripod with my other camera and something happens that would benefit from a steadicam shot it's just a matter of picking it up, close the resting stand, switch the power button on the dslr on, adjust the focus and start shooting, that's all a matter of a few seconds.

Any kind of software solution you might try to mimic steadicam moves with a handheld camera is never a substitute for the real thing, especially for longer shots,like following the couple during their first entrance into the venue, or circling them during the first dance.

The day my blackbird would be damaged a order for a new one would be placed immediately, I use it as a selling point and my clients expect these kind of gliding shots to be in their video..
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I have not added anything during a shoot that would need be to re-balance, but I can say that taking the blackbird out of it's case, assemble it and getting it balanced is done very quickly, I have not timed it yet but might this weekend. :)
Noa did you have no additional light for those evening shots? (If you did i'm guessing off-camera then) also i love that music - who is it?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #48
Inner Circle

No, never use any light on or off camera, the music is from cameronmusic.co.uk, songname is: in the grounds of hogwarts
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM   #49
Inner Circle

So is that your CX730? (I'm guessing not the EA50) - Nice images for such low light!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:53 AM   #50
Inner Circle

If you are refering to that video in the venue, that was mostly canon 550d shots with a 14mm f2.8 lens, didn't have my nex-ea50 back then.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Any kind of software solution you might try to mimic steadicam moves with a handheld camera is never a substitute for the real thing, especially for longer shots,like following the couple during their first entrance into the venue, or circling them during the first dance.
It works great for me, haha.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Now this is a true steadicam hero!!! a 96 minute feature film shot in one steadicam take (apparently)

Pete
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
It works great for me, haha.
You have made me curious, can you show such a fake gildecam shot stabilized in AE?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
You have made me curious, can you show such a fake gildecam shot stabilized in AE?
I don't have any of my shots online, but here's an example of what it's capable of. With the right tweaking it can be really great.

Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Edius has a build in stabilizer which works great to filter out micro shakes but in case of removing larger shakes it deforms the image in the process, it's hard to explain but you see the background "twist".

AE seems to be doing a much better job but I still see the image "twisting" but not so noticeable, you do get some resolution loss as it needs to zoom in on the image to have correction space. I have seen some stabilizing tutorials on Andrew Kramer's video co-pilot site and eventhough the results are great it seems a very time consuming job, Also the example you gave is a basic move with no pan or tilt changes but I'd like to see how a shot would look like following the couple during their first entrance while they are making constant direction changes, I can imagine that would take a lot of time getting that right.

With a steadicam you just shoot, slam it on the timeline and get on with the editing :)
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #56
Major Player

Anyone thought about using one of the MOVI type devices? Obviously the MOVI is expensive, but there are cheaper alternatives and the prices will probably continue to come down. May be a nice way to get smooth shots.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #57
Major Player

the warp thing is handy to have ok, only downside to it is it wont allow you to change it to slomo or anything, so you'd have to render it off and re-import it if you wanted to add anything else on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques