Sony A99 or Panasonic GH3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony A99 or Panasonic GH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Richard, don't forget Olympus has two F/2.0 zoom lenses that work natively with the GH3. Similar to the Panasonics but significantly faster. Expensive? Yes. However as far as I know there are few if any zoom lenses that fast other than those, Canon makes nothing even close and neither does Nikon, unless you get into some exotic stuff, I reckon.

They are amazing, but I don't know if IS will work with them, have no idea.
Don't know if you heard, but there is a new Sigma 18-35 F1.8 zoom lens available in Canon mount.
APSC sensor only, so it wouldn't work on the 5D. Good lens for any APSC DSLR camera or
Super 35mm large sensor video camera. I wonder if other fast zooms will follow??
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
Don't know if you heard, but there is a new Sigma 18-35 F1.8 zoom lens available in Canon mount.
APSC sensor only, so it wouldn't work on the 5D. Good lens for any APSC DSLR camera or
Super 35mm large sensor video camera. I wonder if other fast zooms will follow??
I've been thinking about that very lens + a Metabones Speedbooster Canon EOS lens to m4/3rds adapter could be a really, really nice combination.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
I've been thinking about that very lens + a Metabones Speedbooster Canon EOS lens to m4/3rds adapter could be a really, really nice combination.
I wonder why they have brought out a Nikon G to MFT Speedbooster but not a Canon EOS to MFT?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I wonder why they have brought out a Nikon G to MFT Speedbooster but not a Canon EOS to MFT?
Interesting...until recently it has seemed support for Canon lenses was better and had priority. I haven't actually bought into Canon so I am still free to go either way. Thank you for pointing that out. For the Sigma lens is available in Nikon mount as well.

But it is hard to believe the Canon EOS to MFT adapter is far away.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #20
Major Player

Computer problems resulted in a double post. Sorry about that.
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
I've used the GH3 and the 5D Mark III. They are both great cameras. One thing to note, the GH3 does not have focus peaking and the 5D you can get it with Magic Lantern.
Hi Daniel - I've never tried magic lantern with my Mark III as it seems because it's Alpha you have to update the firmware every time you start up the camera - is this not the case? If I had focus peaking I would definitely use it more!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Hi Daniel - I've never tried magic lantern with my Mark III as it seems because it's Alpha you have to update the firmware every time you start up the camera - is this not the case? If I had focus peaking I would definitely use it more!
ML on the 5D3 is great now although the Alpha 3 is 6 months old so you need to go for the even more bleeding edge nightly build (I'm using 2nd August 2013). Several great features zebras, focus peaking, GB free, live histogram, HDR video & of course RAW video (workflow not for the fainthearted though). It is booted off the SD card each time that I power on but is not really any slower to boot than without ML.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks Nigel - I'll give it a try

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques