Glidecam plus sun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam plus sun

Just did a shoot today with my stabilzer and man oh man was it hard to see the viewfinder. I have a loup, but its hard to see through it when you are flying. How do you guys handle the sun while you are flying the cam on the glidecam, or other stabilizers? I got good shots, but could not see for framing purposes. Thanks in advance.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Glidecam plus sun

Hi Jeff

I have rails near the bottom of the sled with the battery on one side and a 7" LCD on the other. The LCD is a cheapie one used for reversing cameras so that was a mere $30 and I use a Li-Ion CCTV 12v battery to power it. I made a LCD shade around the LCD just using black foam board and it works really well ... it's also an ideal position low down near your knees so you can watch where you are walking and see the screen as well.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris,
Thanks for the advice. I may try putting a low weight border around the lcd screen. My rig won't support too much weight though.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

I use foam board which is about 1/4" thick and is covered in black paper each side. It's almost weightless!! You get it from the art shop and I actually strip the paper off and use just the foam. It glues nicely with a hot glue gun and is really cheap to make.

If you mount the LCD rail/battery just above the bottom stage you can remove weight from the actual stage too as the LCD acts as lower balance weight.

Here's a pic of my bottom stage (without the LCD hood)

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Glidecam plus sun-lcd8.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques