Who's doing wedding fairs? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Who's doing wedding fairs?

Yep,it's all to do with business.

What is a professional videographer?

I've always thought it's some one who does the job FULL TIME. It's his only source of income.

There are many forms of professional camera men shooting sports, corporate, weddings, movies etc! they are all pro's because it's their day job.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #17
Trustee

This is a bit off topic ...

But I just re-read Danny's point about hiring business consultants, marketers, cameraman and editors.

That's all great isn't it if you have a proper business plan in place and the resources to do so.

But what does the SOLO shooter do ? I know how I started in this ... I had a day job, saved up around 15k and spent it all on my equipment, editing machine etc.

How does the solo shooter improve his brand image so that he can charge more ?

I know of plenty of ways I could market myself if I had a team of people. But can't think of anything as a solo shooter.
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
That's all great isn't it if you have a proper business plan in place and the resources to do so.

But what does the SOLO shooter do ? I know how I started in this ... I had a day job, saved up around 15k and spent it all on my equipment, editing machine etc.

I know of plenty of ways I could market myself if I had a team of people. But can't think of anything as a solo shooter.
Hi James,

I've haven't seen a website or anything of yours, so you may already be doing this.

I think branding should be something you work on regardless of your business size. Everything you show a potential bride should be high quality and have the same look. From a website, to the business cards, to how the packages. That by itself is going to give a business a higher quality image.

I'm sure higher someone may yield better results, but it's something that you can do on your own and already increase your brand image.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
This is a bit off topic ...

But I just re-read Danny's point about hiring business consultants, marketers, cameraman and editors.

If you want to remain a solo shooter, then your options are a little more limited, but so are your overheads. The best way to command a higher fee as a solo shooter is to maintain a high brand image, produce good quality work and create a demand for your services through recommendation. It takes time and remember that one bad job can destroy months and years of hard work, so always make sure you produce good quality work no matter what.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Spot on Roger and I have done 27 wedding videos this year, yes not the top end clients but sufficient to make money get them done and get them sent. I now look at the money making side of things rather than glossy make overs...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

That,s pretty much how I see it Steve, you could have filmed half the number of weddings for twice the money, but you would also have half as many people seeing your work for future referrals. There's a diminishing returns aspect to wedding video, the more you charge, the more time, expense and people you need to put into it.

There is no point in doing it if it makes no money, unless it is just a hobby that pays for itself, while you pay the bills with a conventional job.

Roger
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Why not do twice as many weddings at half the price so you can reach twice as many brides for future referrals?

It seems like there is this impression that the more you charge the less you actually make. I don't think that is the case. You may need a second (or third) videographer, but you're price increase should more than pay for that added expense.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer View Post
Why not do twice as many weddings at half the price so you can reach twice as many brides for future referrals?

It seems like there is this impression that the more you charge the less you actually make. I don't think that is the case. You may need a second (or third) videographer, but you're price increase should more than pay for that added expense.
As I said previously, there is a point where there are diminishing returns which varies according to your overheads. Halving the price for double the referrals doesn't work unless you are already over charging. You can of course charge as high a price as you want, but above a certain point, the more you charge, the more turnover you need to sustain the levels of personnel, equipment, premises and promotion. There is also the increased hours that need to be put into setting up, breaking down, editing, manning a shop/studio and the responsibilities that come with it. Every business is different and striking the balance is the difference between success and failure.

My point really is that a solo shooter charging a moderate price, can end up with a personal income equal to someone running a high end company charging many times more, but needing to maintain a high overheads level. Having owned an audio/video production company with 17 employees in the past and now being a husband and wife business, I turn over a fraction of what I did in the past, but have a comfortable personal income and none of the stress or time and financial commitments.

It's all about what you want from it and the direction you want to go.

Roger
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Trustee

Spot on the last couple remarks. I used to have three guys, all angles covered, paid them £150 each, had to much footage, more time editing, more equipment more this and that. In the end the cost returns where not as good as if I was double my price. Now, I stick to me only, I do not have to teach anyone or tell them they are sat down or they have got the wrong shots, simple hd dslrs and a cam, now I am like a whirlwind but discreet, I see everything coming first hand and I am ready.. I have my story and I shoot to that. Short form feature films they book I shoot to that, long form I shoot to that... My profits are good, if I went up market branded costing a fortune and waited for work that may not come in. I have watched a lot of high end guys this year that used to be booked solid now I see they only do 5/6 a year admittedly the £2995 market. But don't forget they have to sort out their wedding planner with funds as that's how they got the job in the first place and maybe their expensive adverts in the top bridal magazines (tried that). Times are changing, cameras are becoming point and shoot, the clients will take advantage of that, video is the last thing they book if they have a camera in the family and he is decent they will use him for photos and video. I think we as creative people will always get a few jobs but its getting harder as cams get more advanced.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #25
Major Player

The point I was trying to make was that you used to be able to be a solo shooter and command a decent fee. You didn't need branding or any of that, it was solely about the work.

But things have changed. Those who have invested in branding have changed the landscape and yes, overheads are higher for staff, offices and c100's but its what we belive needs to be done to remain competitive in this new age.

Cars never used to need stereos, power steering. They never had to run tv ads to sell cars but then someone came along and did. The others had to then do the same to stay in the game.

Now. Back on topic ;) wedding fairs. That £180 you spend on a wedding fair (plus flyers, presentation gear and your very precious time) could be spent in other ways which would give you much greater reach and better returns. It may seem obvious that spend £180 and get 2 bookings at £1k makes sense. But what if you could spend £50 and generate 5 sales? All without leaving the sofa.

Fairs can work but are it he most efficient.

Did the national wedding show once. £5k and not a worthwhile return. Better suited to people selling shiny things.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #26
Trustee

Agree on the wedding fairs Danny, waste of time...Intrigued on how to get those sales you mention at that £50 price?
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Google ad words?
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Agree on the wedding fairs Danny, waste of time...Intrigued on how to get those sales you mention at that £50 price?
Think Danny was just saying work SMARTER, not Harder.
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #29
Trustee

Google ad words not good Matt, I am top of the tree anyway so that's a waste of money and I have work coming in anyways and looking good for 2014.My point is do I go high end and do a few a year or wack them out at a fair price.
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #30
Trustee

All depends what you want ...

If you've got wife and kids you might fancy devoting more time to them ... which means high end / few weddings a year would suit your lifestyle.

Otherwise regular work is probably best. Stick to what you're doing.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques