DSLR or Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: DSLR or Camcorder

Chris, yes, I am very impressed with the EA-50, it seems to have everything (except the ND's) but as you said a few weeks ago, that's no big issue. When I come through Singapore in January, I aim to pick up one from Expandore, where I got my AC160. It saves about 40% on the UK cost.
For the moment, I will keep the 160 (I'm a sucker for punishment) as I do like a challenge but my old Z1 is about to go, I haven't used it for a while and is easily outperformed by the two 730's I have acting as back and side cams. With the 0% sharpen plug in Vegas and a tiny hint of contrast, the 730 holds it's own very well, and with the floating lens it's a beauty. Thanks to Noa for that cam....
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

DSLR or Camcorder

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your inputs.
Since you have mentioned eshop in Singapure, do you have idea about one in Japan since I am travelling there next month?
Richard Bacevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Richard, you would have to Google it. The shop I go to in Singapore is called Expandore, they may have a branch there but as you are going to Japan and the camera being a Sony, I think you would be spoilt for choice in places you could go.
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

If we're talking about full featured camcorders, then certainly they're not point and shoot. None of mine, apart from tiny Panasonic handy cam, have autofocus. I think we're talking about cameras with proper lenses,and lots of manual control. These can be just as tricky to set up and operate as a DSLR. They need people who know what they're doing to operate them properly. My video production style needs certain features - and to be honest, ultimate image quality is not one of them. The best output medium I use is DVD. My client base has no interest in anything better. I shoot a bit of 1080, but am still shooting most at 720p. My system copes with multicam at 720 better than 1080, and that works for me. Really solid camera supports, the ability to hang autocues on the front, and enough weight to make movement smooth is what I want. I don't hand hold anything, and even shoulder mounted shots are getting less - as lenses work more at their long end.

DSLRs just don't work for me - but that doesn't make them the spawn of the Devil!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Major Player

Exactly Paul, horses for courses, we use what works for us.
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

To be honest, this whole 'DSLR vs camcorder; debate can be summed up very easily.

If you have to ask if you need large-sensor/DSLRs, you don't.

Horses for courses. Really depends on your shooting style.
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Ong View Post
If you have to ask if you need large-sensor/DSLRs, you don't.
What if you ask if you need a camcorder?. . .jokes.

This is the most polite I've seen a thread about DSLRs vs Camcorders.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hey Daniel

I agree ... it's very civil indeed which is unusual! Usually it's a fierce and often heated battle between the camcorder guys and the DSLR guys each telling the other how useless their gear is.

I am so pleased that we have all grown up now and can live in harmony...it's much more pleasant!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #24
Major Player

I think thats because theres more and more that have a foot in both camps!
I'm the same i use camcorders, DSLRs and small handy cams.
I was looking at the EA50s for a long time but eventually went for a PMW 200, might look at the next version of the EA 50 they might bring out.
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

The EA-50 certainly does give you the best of both worlds ..if only Sony would bring out a power zoom 17-105 at a constant F2.8 I wouldn't need to use my Nikon lenses!!

I think it's the first camera I have had in 23 years where I honestly can say, no features were left out and everything works 100% for me and that's audio too. I was really disappointed with Panny's AC-series after using them for over 20 years too!!

The only thing I don't use the 50's for is stills!! Prefer my Nikons!!

Chris
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Major Player

I hear you Chris, something along those lines would do ok and maybe some ND filters yeah?
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

A constant F2.8 would probably add 50% to the current price of the camera so that won't happen!

Yep, a variable ND (I hate switchable filters as they cause a flash on the footage!) in front of the sensor would be awesome... that would also serve two purposes and keep the sensor dust free too ..the EA-50 does have a small issue with dust on the sensor if you change lenses in dusty areas.

Chris
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #28
Major Player

Personally, historically, I've never been onboard with the DLSR for wedding thing.

I do recognize that you can get amazing footage which simply isn't possible with a traditional camcorder.

But, the major drawback for a long time in my eyes was the limited recording time for the ceremony, and then overheating of the cameras as recording times increased to the 30 min mark.

I did shoot a 90-minute event last year with a guy who had a Canon 7D as my C-shooter on the floor (I was running two cameras up top with one locked wide). It worked out ok, but -for events- where you don't get second chances, the lack of full range zoom (when compared to my NX5U which goes up to 600mm equivalent) and shallow depth of field are not favorable in my opinion.

Having said all that, my wedding schedule is starting to fill up for 2014 and after talking to anther friend who is a DSLR shooter, and after he showed me his demo reel, I upped my prices a bit so I can hire him to come in and help shoot at my bigger weddings because I know with his creative eye and gear, he will be able to get some "wow" footage that I would never be able to get with my NX5.

I still maintain that for long form wedding ceremonies, DSLRs aren't the way to go yet because they are still too limiting, but for other shots. B-roll, Reception, Pre-Ceremony etc, they can be quite useful!
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
Chris, yes, I am very impressed with the EA-50, it seems to have everything (except the ND's) but as you said a few weeks ago, that's no big issue. When I come through Singapore in January, I aim to pick up one from Expandore, where I got my AC160. It saves about 40% on the UK cost.
For the moment, I will keep the 160 (I'm a sucker for punishment) as I do like a challenge but my old Z1 is about to go, I haven't used it for a while and is easily outperformed by the two 730's I have acting as back and side cams. With the 0% sharpen plug in Vegas and a tiny hint of contrast, the 730 holds it's own very well, and with the floating lens it's a beauty. Thanks to Noa for that cam....
Hey Chris, what 730?
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I think the sony cx730
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques