First Dance Clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

HI Mark,
The way you described your compressed full mass ceremony is very similar to the way I cut mine. When I started doing condensed edits about 5 years ago the first thing to go was communion-I had a bride say to me-"I don't want to see the back of 200 peoples heads doing something they ought to be doing every Sunday"-made sense to me then and still today-of course the long pauses (dead air goes as does the gospel by the priest and much of the homily except for the parts specific to the B&G) Walk in, preists welcome, vows,rings, untity candle, flowers to moms, flowers to Mary, pronouncement, kiss and walkout pretty much covers it for me.
I do however also give them an uncut version of the ceremony either from the balconey camera or from my A camera depending. Do you also give them an uncut version? I've been thinking about cutting that out as no B&G I've talked to in the last year or so even watches it.
Anyway, glad to hear you cut yours in similar fashion. Now I don't feel so lonley ;-0
See you in Chitown on the 7th.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Great Work Mark! My very first inspiration around 5 years ago was Chris Watson, when I saw his work, I was in awe. It is nice to see that you share some of his elements, yet keep a nice distinction in your work. It flowed perfectly. Great job as always.

AEMIKEA
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #18
Major Player

Mark,
Stunning images for sure. But, this looks like a highlight. Was the motion slowed down and do you include a highlight at the end of your movies? If so, do you just use different scenes?

Spotlights are terrific. We had one wedding where the DJ provided an elaborate light system that included a spotlight. It turned ordinary reception video into an elegant viewing experience.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stewart
Great Work Mark! My very first inspiration around 5 years ago was Chris Watson, when I saw his work, I was in awe. It is nice to see that you share some of his elements, yet keep a nice distinction in your work. It flowed perfectly. Great job as always.

AEMIKEA
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, Chris Watson is awesome.
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
Mark,
Stunning images for sure. But, this looks like a highlight. Was the motion slowed down and do you include a highlight at the end of your movies? If so, do you just use different scenes?
Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes, most of the shots were slowed down. It is a highlight in a way. A highlight of the 3 key events of the reception, if you want to look at it that way.

Depending on the package the the client selects, there will be a highlight at the beginning or a small flashback at the end. When making a full blown highlight I may use 2-4 scenes from the 1st Dance, just depending on the song. I don't remember how many scenes from the 1st Dance were in this client's highlight. Probably at least a close up and the confetti drop.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Mark,

Maybe a dumb question but in the (very) wide shots I can't spot the close up camera person. Was s/he simply "darting" in and out or . . .?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Mark,

Maybe a dumb question but in the (very) wide shots I can't spot the close up camera person. Was s/he simply "darting" in and out or . . .?
Hi Craig,
No, it's not a dumb question. I was shooting the closeups. I am just out of frame to the left. I did that on purpose. You will notice the photographer shows up in some of the early shots. Look for the first B&W wide shot. You will see me at the bottum of the frame. I am down low to take advantage of the spotlight to get some back lit shots. You can see me really good on the shot looking through the balcony railing and then again on the confetti drop.

I cover this in more detail on the training DVD, "The Art of Moving Camera Techniques". Typically we position the two camera 45 degrees apart so we don't end up in each others shot. This also allows for good lighting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques